Windows 7 doesn't mount BBB as usb drive after update

Check your USB cable!
I had an issue with Windows 7 not discovering my Beaglebone. Apparently, I was using a usb cable meant for charging only so I switched
usb cables and the Beaglebone was discovered instantly :slight_smile:

Sutharsan

did you ever get it fix?
I’m having the same problem

Nope, I gave up on the whole project. Someday I’ll try for a replacement.

I just experienced the exact same behavior.

I got my board last night, played around with some script to flash some LEDs and then flashed an update. I grabbed the emmc flasher for BBB, ran that this morning. when I came back after about an hour all 4 LEDs were blue which I believe means success. Now I can’t get my computer to recognize the device. It starts up and the LEDs flash just like they were before as if it is talking to something or maybe it’s just trying to talk to something.

I installed 64-bit windows driver successfully on a windows 7 64 bit.

I do not believe this is a Windows (or any other client) issue.

I did essentially the same thing… update the packages on my board, reboot, wammo. Like the op, I can still access the device over the network, but I cannot access the device over USB any longer. When I ssh into the device I don’t see it binding on 192.168.7.2. When I do a dmesg on a client PC I don’t see any effect to plugging the USB cable in.

I’ve tried power from the wall vs power from the ethernet, no difference.
I’ve tried Mac, Windows, Linux (CentOS 6.x) clients

I do not believe it’s the cable, or connector… It’s unlikely that it was damaged.

To be clear, the device was working over USB just fine until I updated the packages (using opkg).

Please advise…

Thank you.
Mike

Experiencing same problem here!!! After update my pc lost the connection with BBB, although LEDs are flashing (actually seem like joking with me :slight_smile: ). At least 3-4 persons got this problem and yet no fixing!!!

Got the same problem here. After updating, PC can’t recognize BBB as USB device. As usual LEDs are flashing. Looks like quite a few of us experiencing the problems. Yet no fix.

Same problem here. It worked on Windows 7 initially but no longer.

there is a similar issue with an individual on whose board the initial files that appeared on the
usb mount were erased
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/beagleboard/beaglebone-black/1qr04iE0EYc
the recommended solution was flashing, which started the issue for this group, but its
the same specific result, so I thought it might be possible the two issues are somehow related. just sayin’…

Hi Emory,
That person’s board wouldn’t boot.

Good looking out though! I appreciate it!

I had the same issue and fortunately i was able to fix it!

when i got the board, I chose the option to flash the eemc with Angstrom (not the SD card option).
While i was working on a project I updated it from the command line which ruined the usb connections.
To fix this I switched to the SD card version and made sure that the BBB booted from the SD card.
Finally i updated using the command line and for some weird reason it works again.

My only explanation is that the operating system had somewhat messed up the usb. Rest reassured that its likely not a hardware problem, especially if it broke after an update.

Best Regards

Hi,

First, I will like to say that I am new to this, but I had the similar
issue with NO USB SOUND AND NO MOUNT after update the Angstrom to the last
version (2013.09.04 version).
After first two trials to update (both by using the uSD flasher image) I
got the same issue like you describe. I searched the NET (and found this
post and others), but no one seems to have a solution...so I tried again,
this time without much hope...

So I did flashed the emmc again (using 5V 3A power supply on the 5.5/2.1
connector and NO other cables like network, usb, etc connected), then when
the 4 leds lights up and remain so for like 30 seconds (in my case took
about 52 minutes to flash...more than specified in most forums, not sure
why...) I took the power off, then removed the uSD card. The next thing I
done was to start the board by using ONLY the usb cable (I have another
one, not the one that comes with the board, but that one works to) and
connected the board to the USB of my Win 7 x64 PC via a USB external
powered HUB with 2.5A power supply. At this moment, the board started (also
started last times, but not detected by the PC as USB device) and after the
LEDs lights up in some patterns for about10 seconds, then my PC detected
the BBB board as USB device (usb detection sound, driver installation, etc)
and all went fine.

Now the board works just like before update: I can access it with SSH by
using only USB connection (no network cable), I can access
http://192.168.7.2, and so on. Next thing I want to have done is to use an
RTL 8188cus based Edimax ew-7811un WLAN stick to get WiFi connection (this
is why I needed to re-flash the BBB since I killed the other Angstrom by
trying to have this working, so the board did not boot anymore after a lot
of install, compile, and so on).
It may be that your problem is different, but for me looked the same, so I
posted my experience here.

Hope this will solve your problem!

Have fun!

Hi,

First, I will like to say that I am new to this, but I had the similar issue with NO USB SOUND AND NO MOUNT after update the Angstrom to the last version (2013.09.04 version).
After first two trials to update (both by using the uSD flasher image) I got the same issue like you describe. I searched the NET (and found this post and others), but no one seems to have a solution…so I tried again, this time without much hope…

So I did flashed the emmc again (using 5V 3A power supply on the 5.5/2.1 connector and NO other cables like network, usb, etc connected), then when the 4 leds lights up and remain so for like 30 seconds (in my case took about 52 minutes to flash…more than specified in most forums, not sure why…) I took the power off, then removed the uSD card. The next thing I done was to start the board by using ONLY the usb cable (I have another one, not the one that comes with the board, but that one works to) and connected the board to the USB of my Win 7 x64 PC via a USB external powered HUB with 2.5A power supply. At this moment, the board started (also started last times, but not detected by the PC as USB device) and after the LEDs lights up in some patterns for about10 seconds, then my PC detected the BBB board as USB device (usb detection sound, driver installation, etc) and all went fine.

Now the board works just like before update: I can access it with SSH by using only USB connection (no network cable), I can access http://192.168.7.2, and so on. Next thing I want to have done is to use an RTL 8188cus based Edimax ew-7811un WLAN stick to get WiFi connection (this is why I needed to re-flash the BBB since I killed the other Angstrom by trying to have this working, so the board did not boot anymore after a lot of install, compile, and so on).
It may be that your problem is different, but for me looked the same, so I posted my experience here.

Hope this will solve your problem!

Have fun!

I’ve got the same issue after running “upgrade” command. After surfing blogs, I was convinced that “upgrade” command erased the angstrom image. I tried many options to get BBB work as before but no luck. Finally, I bought a 8GB microSD card ( AU $ 13.95) and followed the steps (Step 1 to Step 17) exactly given at :

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software

I selected latest image in step 1 (i.e. Production Image 2013.09.04). Now, BBB is working as before, no problem.

I’m glad your board is working again!

So you just kept flashing and flashing the same image over and over, and one of the times it just started working again?

This issue is so bizarre

Dear forum,
This link resolves this issue: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/beagleboard/G_QjWvBNXvc/eS1MwhzxBWIJ

I had exactly all the issues that most of you had, but after following the steps on the link everything works. You don’t even need to reflash you board or anything
This discussion can finally be marked closed.

Cheers.

Hello trknclinton92,

Which steps are you referring, specifically?