x11 dummy display

I’m kind of stuck with trying to use a program that has both a GUI and command line (no GUI) interface. I’m interested in using it in command line mode on the Angstrom BeagleBone. I don’t have the source code, I can’t re-write the program and I don’t have any alternatives to it. Switching to Ubuntu isn’t an option at this point.
When the program is executed in command line mode it doesn’t display anything in a GUI but it still produces the error “No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.”

I’ve Googled this error and found others in a similar situation. The solutions involved creating a dummy X11 display to feed the non-existent GUI to. A few years ago there was the xvfb package which is not part of Angstrom. I also found the “Xdummy” script which look promising but depends on a couple of things (such as a dummy frame buffer driver) that aren’t in Angstrom either.

Has anyone else run into this?

After some poking around angstrom-distribution.org I found Xvfb here:

http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/v2012.12/ipk/eglibc/armv7a/base/xserver-xorg-xvfb_1.10.2-r21.1_armv7a.ipk

The feed that my BeagleBone likes is v2012.05 which is why it wasn’t finding this. So I just used opkg install pointing to the above link.

When I ran Xvfb it complained about missing swrast_dri so I installed it using the regular 2012.05 feed:

opkg install mesa-dri-driver-swrast

Works great now.