xf86-input-keyboard build failures

Hi,

Is anyone else getting failures to build on any of the gpe and desktop images because of a broken xf86-input-keyboard?

Relevant snippet from failed build -

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-libtool: compile: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I… -isystem/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -isystem/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -I/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi -I/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/pixman-1 -I…/src -MT kbd.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/kbd.Tpo -c kbd.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/kbd.o
In file included from kbd.c:18:
…/config.h:4:25: error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory
kbd.c:30:18: error: xf86.h: No such file or directory

Seems to be unable to find any relevant includes

John

Did xserver-xorg get built before?

regards,

Koen

Hi,

Is anyone else getting failures to build on any of the gpe and desktop images because of a broken xf86-input-keyboard?

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-libtool: compile: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I… -isystem/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -isystem/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -I/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi -I/home/john/overo-oe/tmp/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/pixman-1 -I…/src -MT kbd.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/kbd.Tpo -c kbd.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/kbd.o

I guess it must not have been. A rebuild of xserver-xorg and then a rebuild of xf86-input-keyboard fixed the problem.

Where should I express this dependency to ensure this problem does not happen again in future?

John

Hi,

I guess it must not have been. A rebuild of xserver-xorg and then a rebuild of xf86-input-keyboard fixed the problem.

Where should I express this dependency to ensure this problem does not happen again in future?

Actually, cancel that. The failure occurs when the image file specifies

XSERVER ?= “xserver-kdrive-fbdev”

So the bug is xf86-input-keyboard does not build against xserver-kdrive-fbdev. Should I file this as a bug?

John

You really don't want to be using kdrive on an omap3, it's slow, buggy and EOL'ed.

regards,

Koen

Actually, cancel that. The failure occurs when the image file specifies

XSERVER ?= “xserver-kdrive-fbdev”

You really don’t want to be using kdrive on an omap3, it’s slow, buggy and EOL’ed.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Seems to be working now - it was a bit of a pain to rebuild all xf86-* friends that depended on virtual/xserver, and had, in past, failed to build against kdrive.

Are reverse dependencies exposed in bitbake? that is, could I do something like

bitbake -c rebuild bitbake find_rdepends_of_xserver_xorg ?

Thanks

John

The knob to regulate that behaviour is BB_STAMP_POLICY, but that doesn't work as you expect it to:

* you build stuff and distribute resulting packages
* you change the xserver
* rebuild everything
* the _content_ of the resulting packages is different, the the name and _version_ are still the same

You can see how that leads to confusion and QA nightmares.This is also why gentoo stays away from binary packages and debian has such a rigid (dare I say bureaucratic) method of building packages.

If you only distribute flashable images and don't do package based field upgrades, then changing BB_STAMP_POLICY is safe to do.

regards,

Koen