192.168.7.2 is NOT opening or reachable

Hi,

It seems I’m not getting the 192.168.6.1 or 192.168.7.1 on command ifconfig -a

Thanks

IMG20200715205310.jpg

Unplug and plug the BBB back in and then check the output of running the command : dmesg

Jon

Hi,
I could see couple of errors listed out with and without BBB connected to my laptop using mini USB cable(given in box). But i couldn’t figure out totally, the difference between plugged and unplugged BBB.

I’m attaching the output file hereby for your reference. thanks for your help.

pankaj

withBBB.txt (125 KB)

withoutBBB.txt (125 KB)

PFA for screenshots of the output message on running the command dmesg with plugged in BBB.

thanks.

Screenshot from 2020-07-15 22-25-44.png

Screenshot from 2020-07-15 22-25-24.png

It is possible that you either have a bad USB cable or your PC can not provide enough power to properly power up the BBB.
The preference would be to upgrade you eMMC, however, this message does appear in your files though:

`

[ 8428.112630] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 8428.408057] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 8428.536147] usb 2-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 8428.744111] usb 2-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 8428.952095] usb 2-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
[ 8429.924105] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 8429.924193] usb usb2-port1: attempt power cycle
[ 8431.272034] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
[ 8431.293196] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0104, bcdDevice= 4.01
[ 8431.293200] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=4, SerialNumber=5
[ 8431.293202] usb 2-1: Product: BeagleBoneBlack
[ 8431.293205] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Circuitco
[ 8431.293206] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: C0-5018BBBK0C2

`

Jon

Thanks for letting me know the reasons, why its not working.
I’ve already ordered a 16 gb sd card to use the latest image using sd card boot.
Anyway could please tell me how can i upgrade the emmc?

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I am only guessing that the power or cable is the issue, but it does seem like it based on what I had seen in your dmesg output.

For upgrading the eMMC, I believe it would depend on how comfortable you are running through the process. It would be much easier via an SD card, but I did find the following links related to this.https://www.meetup.com/MKETechEngine/messages/boards/thread/37061872
https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/791/t/404919?Writing-linux-image-to-MMC-without-SD-Card-on-BBB

Others might have better advice for you though.

Good luck.

Jon

The procedure for flashing the eMMC hasn't changed in years -- it
should be easy to find using a search engine.

That said... My recommendation is to first make sure it is operating
from a recent image on the SD card. Run the "sudo apt update"/"sudo apt
upgrade" procedure and do any customizations on the SD card. When you are
happy...

THEN edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file. Normally the last line in that file
is commented out. Removing the #s on the line will turn that image into a
"flasher" image. Reboot. It should run the flashing procedure copying the
SD card data to the eMMC.

WARNING: it is strongly recommended that you use a 5V 2A (or higher) power
supply on the barrel connector. Flashing the eMMC is a significant power
drain and USB power may not be reliable! (The standard specification for a
USB 2 connector is 5V 0.5A [and that is for the entire "hub", basically, if
you have a four port hub it can provide 5V 0.125A to each port, or 0.5A to
one port if the others are empty --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Power ])

NOTE: After flashing, you will have to remove the SD card and reboot. Do
NOT leave that SD card in the slot or you will just restart the flashing
process again. You have to put the #s back on that line to disable future
flashing attempts. That means mounting the SD card into a system that is
already booted, and maneuvering to the uEnv.txt file /on the card/ (you
don't want to accidentally modify the one on the running OS).

Hey There! I’m glad there are still some people who keep this tread alive! Actually a common cause of this issue is a mismatch in the IP address range. Make sure that the Ip address of your computer and the Ip address of the BB are in the same range.

Hello I’ve faced the same issue with Ip recently, so I’d like your advice on how to solve it. Seems like I’ve tried everything there is, nothing has helped yet…

Copy and paste the results of this.

$systemctl status ssh.service
$sudo ufw status
$ip route

I haven’t used the BBB in quite some time, however I do remember it being quite convenient to just use the network connection created by plugging into a USB port. However I do recall it not being very stable. I don’t know if it was a Windows issue or something else. But I quickly realized it was easier and more reliable to connect via Ethernet. Back then, Wifi was a thing, but not nearly as ubiquitous and stable as it is today. So my computer, at the time, had a dedicated Ethernet connection to the Internet. I used another Ethernet adapter and a cross-over cable to the BBB and never had trouble with it again.

However as most people probably use Wifi for accessing the Internet (particularly at home), if your computer/laptop happens to have a built-in Ethernet adapter, you can use that along with an Ethernet cable. And because auto-mode switching is far more common on Ethernet NICs in computers today, you wouldn’t have to use a cross-over cable either. A generic Ethernet cable would likely suffice. If you are working off a laptop that doesn’t have an Ethernet port, then you can get USB-to-Ethernet (or USB-C) dongles off Amazon for quite cheap. Doing a quick search, I think I saw one for less than $13.

I also was using the USB-TTL adapter to access the terminal on BBB directly vs going over ssh. So it was a relatively simple matter of updating the BBB’s Ethernet IP to be compatible with my 2nd NIC without having connectivity already. If you do not have one, I HIGHLY recommend you get one of those if you haven’t already.

And while they do sell cheaper versions on eBay & Amazon, having used both, it is worth getting the genuine FTDI version (search TTL-232R-3V3). At the time, they were selling for ~$25. Although I suspect maybe they’ve come down in price since then? The cables from FTDI look like this:

The cheaper TTL cables are made of much shorter and thinner wire. And while they may use an FTDI chip inside, being shorter can be less convenient, but not nearly as annoying as the thinner wire. Breaking one of the wires off is not difficult to do at all. Although if your only intent and purpose for the cable is to get the BBB setup, and then use ssh from that point on, then the cheaper cable may be just fine. I’d stick with an “Amazon Recommended” cable like this one:
Amazon 6-pin USB-TTL cable

Just looking at the images of this cable, the wires look much thicker than the cheap cable that I got.

Today, I’m using the BBAI64 which doesn’t have the 6-pin header, so I was back to using the USB connection to interact with it early on. But just like before, I found the USB connection to be flaky if left connected for long periods of time. If you only need it for a few hrs, it was fine, but if I left it connected overnight, it not only lost the virtual Ethernet connection, but also tended to mess up other networking aspects of my system forcing a reboot. I got tired of that so I now have my BBAI64 connected to one of my WiFi router’s available Ethernet ports. So now I can access the BBAI64 from any computer in my house. This also has the added benefit of giving the BBAI64 access to the Internet so it can perform apt updates.

So if you can’t get your USB connection to the BB to work at all, it may or may not be the BB’s fault. But to know for sure, you’d need one of those cables to diagnose the problem properly and determine if its a BB issue or a PC issue.

1 Like

Hi I am having same problem. 192.168.7.1 or .2 does not open on browser. Though I am able ping it successfully.

Result of the mentioned commands:

systemctl status ssh.service
ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service; enabled; vendor preset: e>
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2023-09-06 20:26:32 IST; 47min ago
       Docs: man:sshd(8)
             man:sshd_config(5)
    Process: 913 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/sshd -t (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 944 (sshd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 19014)
     Memory: 2.3M
     CGroup: /system.slice/ssh.service
             └─944 sshd: /usr/sbin/sshd -D [listener] 0 of 10-100 startups

Sep 06 20:26:32 marsar-desktop systemd[1]: Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server>
Sep 06 20:26:32 marsar-desktop sshd[944]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Sep 06 20:26:32 marsar-desktop sshd[944]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Sep 06 20:26:32 marsar-desktop systemd[1]: Started OpenBSD Secure Shell server.
sudo ufw status

ip route
default dev eth1 scope link 
169.254.0.0/16 dev wlx5091e3719941 scope link metric 1000 
172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.0.1 linkdown 
192.168.6.0/24 dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.6.1 
192.168.6.0/24 dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.6.1 metric 101 
192.168.7.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.7.1 
192.168.7.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.7.1 metric 100 
192.168.29.0/24 dev wlx5091e3719941 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.29.61 metric 600 
192.168.29.1 dev wlx5091e3719941 scope link

Are you able to ssh into the board?
Do you have zenmap or nmap installed on the host, if so scan to see what port is open. You might have append the port number to the URL 192.xxx.x.xxx:3000

FYI, if you are at work and connected to your company network / internet don’t do this, you might get fired so better let your IT or Sys admin know what is going on.

zenmap is .rpm so use alien to convert it to .deb and install it using

$sudo dpkg -i <packagename.deb>

Yes I am able to SSH into the 192.168.7.2. I am on personal network. Appending port 3000 to url was not opening in browser.

I think I figured out the issue. On opening 192.168.7.2 I was getting this page:
|460.9477124183007x255

On clicking VSCode.html, page won’t load but the port used in URL was 3000.

I was using the latest image from here

Problem was that port 3000 was disabled. It has to be enabled manually(Details)

After running sudo systemctl enable --now bb-code-server, and reloading, I was able to access VSCode.html at port 3000

Let me know if this looks all good to move forward. Thank you :slight_smile:

We don’t use VScode so I would be the wrong person to ask. If you can access it from a browser it would mean your board is configured properly. Are you able to use a standalone web browser and and access the board? If that is the case and it works it would have to be a setup/config issue with VScode.

Vscode, can be a resource hog on am335x, I’m torn between out of the box enabled disabled… I need to better setup the base url, with maybe a readme, I’ve also been thinking of enabling the shellinbox package to easily get to command line thru the browser…

Hi, as shown above in the screenshot, 192.168.7.2 lands to the index/ page. But to access VSCode.html, I have to SSH into the board and only then VSCode Editor loads.

If I SSH into the board and run examples/Beagleboard/Black/seqLEDs.py, I see LEDs blinking in sequence, which means it does communicate correctly.

But, there’s no examples for BeagleBone Blue in the examples folder. Also I feel I think I am missing some other common folders(may be that will show me webpage at 192.168.7.2 instead of directory - index/).

Is this a common problem? In some tutorials I saw Cloud9 IDE making it easier to run commands for sensors directly in the terminal. Can I somehow get Cloud9 like IDE too?

Thanks in advance. Attaching my folder content.

Hi, Not sure if I am following everything correctly, but are you suggesting that cloud9 IDE is right now not supported on latest image for BB-Blue?
Thank you :slight_smile:

Cloud9 (the company) was purchased by Amazon in 2016, all external development really stopped shortly after. I forget which version of nodejs, the whole stack started to break.

Regards,