a question about asking questions

Hi,

I have still unresolved issue (no answer here for how to make pwm_P8_13 low on boot? ) and therefore
trying to figure out if my question is:

• too easy
  • too difficult
  • not interesting enough
  • other?

As I see there is generally a number of unanswered questions, would it be possible for the moderator to give an indication in a simple style,
something like: “too easy, google it yourself” or whatever, to avoid frustration.

Jan

1. The question has been asked countless times on the groups already, and as such can easily be searched on the groups.
  2. google should always be your first recourse. Most questions asked here are not specific to the hardware, and as such can easily be googled as: “how to debian <x.y.z>”, etc.
  3. Not enough information given.
  4. There are literally 10’s of thousands of packages, and tools, and x.y.z for Debian. This is why the distro was chosen( or one reason why ). Passed that, several ways to achieve most( all ? ) goals for .

People here have their own lives, and do not get paid to answer questions here for anyone. As smart-ass as that may seem, this is the pure and simple truth. Many others, myself included subscribe to this group through our email, and get hammered by 30-100 emails a day just from this group alone. For me, ever since the beaglebone black was released to the public.

While I can not speak for anyone else. Personally it bugs me to constantly answer the same question over and over again. Multiple questions on the same exact problem has been asked multiple times a day. More than once, and by seemingly different people !!! As well as really simple stuff such as compiler errors that can easily be copied / pasted into a browser to show hundreds of thousands of hits. While the answer 99% of the time is on the first search result page. Why should “we” have to google search for “you” ?

On top of that, we work, or do whatever it is that we all do daily, and try to find time for our own hobbies. On top of this still, you have people using this group to ask questions for their products based on beagle hardware, or even writing books on the beaglebone . . . without so much as a thank you, or contribution to the community. Unless it makes them a “buck” in the process. Gratitude for ya . . .

So, do yourself a favor. Do as much of your own work for yourself as possible. Have to scour 500 + google search hits to find a correct solution ? Tough, and welcome to the club. Log EVERYTHING you do, as you do it. So when you do find something that works you can duplicate the process reliably. Or if the solution still evades you. Guess what ? You have the exact steps to show us that you’ve done in order to help solve your issue !

For the record, I have 3 unanswered posts on this group since last year. Meaning: topics that I started trying to find information myself. So . . . I tend to find all my own solutions using some form of a search - First.

Hi,

I have still unresolved issue (no answer here for how to make pwm_P8_13
low on boot? ) and therefore
trying to figure out if my question is:
- too easy
- too difficult
- not interesting enough
- other?

As I see there is generally a number of unanswered questions, would it be
possible for the moderator to give an indication in a simple style,
something like: "too easy, google it yourself" or whatever, to avoid
frustration.

Jan

Is there a moderator? I don't know.

But for myself, your question is both too difficult (I don't know the
answer) and not interesting enough (It isn't a problem that I need to solve
for myself). Everybody here is going to have a different response, so
having a moderator decide is probably a bit ham fisted. I can imagine an
external hardware solution because I do circuits, but it'd be more elegant
if someone helped you find a proper on-board software solution. If you
find a solution on your own please post it. If you get desperate enough to
start soldering email me and I'll try to help.

Cheers.

Thanks Jason,

There is a hardware solution to my problem in a form of a tiny logic 08 (AND gate). The PWM is connected to one input and an extra ENABLE signal from GPIO is connected to another input. On the output the resulting gated PWM signal will appear when the ENABLE signal goes high from the application.
The solution however is non-elegant and can be avoided if I had a better knowledge of the software - in this case a PWM driver and it’s interaction with a device tree overlay.
The initial values of pins on boot is a thing to be aware of in any system.
Thinking that there are people using PWM on BBB, including the designers of PWM capes and they are facing the same issue, there was my hope of finding a software solution. And yes, I did a very extensive search beforehand. And I am grateful and appreciated for the help received, and if possible I do contribute back to community within my limits.

Cheers

Jan

Hi,

I thought it was a perfectly fair question - though I couldn’t help, as I’ve not done much with the kernel PWM driver.

Google turned up someone else with basically the same problem (initial pin state not reflecting their changes to the device tree config), but no answers. I guess in your shoes I’d start looking through the driver source, and trying to figure out where these options are meant to be processed.

Good luck!

Jon

As someone getting to know the Beaglebone Black, I've relied on "the kindness of strangers" in this group to help me get going.
I've been working on my home project for 6 months and still have roadblocks getting it up and running (Yeah, I'm slow).
I'm still trying to get all the pieces together for the device tree + GPIO programming + PRU programming (Slowly making progress).
I've bounced back and forth between kernels 3.14 (SGX support + Device Tree) and 3.8 (Cape Manager is easier + PWM support, LinuxFb is a bit slow)
Qt 5.3.2 has several issues I need to resolve before it works with embedded linux & the 4DCape-43T (KB & Mouse bleed-thru, speed, Touch issues).
I've been able to find clues to solve some of the issues by Googling, but when I can't, this user groups is my best source.

This group is a good group of people and a good source for information. (Not too much whining & lots of good relevant issues)
I find it useful to see how others have approached a problem that I'm having.
Even if they don't have a solution, it shows me different ways to ask questions to get at the answer. (What did people do before Google?)

To the point: ask questions when you need to.
Search before you ask and see if it has already been answered.
Someone will find your question interesting because others have hit the same problem.