Accessing NFS/Samba share via USB

Hello All,

My first post to this group.

Is there a way, I can use Beagleboard to access a NFS/Samba Share
(from a NAS box) and make it available via it's USB OTG port to the
device connected (say a blu-ray player)?

There is a company called hsti offering a product called wireless
media stick with above functionality, however I see two drawbacks for
my requirement

1) It's wireless
2) Doesn't support NTFS.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding with your helpful
insights.

Srini.

I guess you could do that with usb-gadget, but I think the player will not automatically update files. Each time you add a file to the nas device, you’d have to turn the player off an on.

Rafael

Hi,

I want to use arm neon intrinsics set for optimization.
I want to build my my code and compile it using the Code Sourcery
Toolchain and then Port it on to the Beagle Board-xM. How to use
Neon Intrinsics in my Code. Will Beagle Board-xM support it…?

Thanks,
Rajiv.

Rajiv Biswas wrote:

Hi,

I want to use arm neon intrinsics set for optimization.
  I want to build my my code and compile it using the Code Sourcery
  Toolchain and then Port it on to the Beagle Board-xM. How to use
  Neon Intrinsics in my Code. Will Beagle Board-xM support it..?

stop thread hijacking

Thank you Rafael for the response.

If the penalty is just restarting player, it is more than acceptable. But, is there any one on this forum did tried and found working?

When I googled, "beagleboard usb-gadget’, I came across the following link,

http://wh1t3s.com/2009/05/11/beagleboard-as-usb-mass-storage-device-via-usb-otg/

It is very close to what I was trying to see happen, except that it was an attempt to access a file based storage via usb otg. (In my case I want the NFS/Samba share to be made available as a mass storage to player via usb otg port)

Srini.

Seems like your problem is similar to this one:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/mount-userspace-directory-as-dev-block-device-for-usb-gadget-api-646376/

Maybe if you create a loop device and then use mount -o loop
/tmp/loop-device.img /folder and mount your network share on /folder.
I'm not sure if this would work, but its an idea.

Rafael

Srini wrote:

Thank you Rafael for the response.

If the penalty is just restarting player, it is more than acceptable. But, is there any one on this forum did tried and
found working?

When I googled, "beagleboard usb-gadget', I came across the following link,

http://wh1t3s.com/2009/05/11/beagleboard-as-usb-mass-storage-device-via-usb-otg/

It is very close to what I was trying to see happen, except that it was an attempt to access a file based storage via
usb otg. (In my case I want the NFS/Samba share to be made available as a mass storage to player via usb otg port)

how is that supposed to work? USB MSC is block oriented whereas NFS/Samba are file oriented, you cannot export NFS/Samba
over USB MSC.

Hello Vladimir,

Not sure, I have the required knowledge on topic to answer. But, I believe this might be possible, as I said above, there is this product called ‘HSTI Wireless Media Stick’, which does exactly what I was asking over WiFi. And I was told that, they run some kind of custom Linux kernel on special hardware.

Srini wrote:

Hello Vladimir,

Not sure, I have the required knowledge on topic to answer. But, I believe this might be possible, as I said above,
there is this product called 'HSTI Wireless Media Stick', which does exactly what I was asking over WiFi. And I was told
that, they run some kind of custom Linux kernel on special hardware.

I guess they are creating a "virtual" FAT32 filesystem that they serve over USB MSC and that they populate with files
from NFS/samba, a neat hack if it works. They say its even patented :slight_smile:

I see. I have got their product yesterday, and it really works like charm (I am no way associated with them, just a user who bough their product), but, the problem is as you pointed out…the limitation is they support only FAT32, which is not good for me as my files are over 30GB and they do it over WiFi only)

Meanwhile, I continued my search, and found that, there is this called ‘GadgetFS’ (using the usb-gadget api). Do you think, does that work.?

Srini wrote:

I see. I have got their product yesterday, and it really works like charm (I am no way associated with them, just a user
who bough their product), but, the problem is as you pointed out..the limitation is they support only FAT32, which is
not good for me as my files are over 30GB and they do it over WiFi only)

I guess constructing a FAT32 on the fly is much easier than ext3 or NTFS...

Meanwhile, I continued my search, and found that, there is this called 'GadgetFS' (using the usb-gadget api). Do you
think, does that work.?

work how? read what gadgetfs does first...