AM3352-SOM module

Hi,

our AM3352-SOM prototypes were assembled today http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/am3352-som-module-with-1ghz-sitara-cortex-a8-soc-prototypes-are-ready/
we test them now and they boot Debian hf for BeagleBoneBlack successfully

Tsvetan

Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX Ltd <usunov@...> writes:

Hi,

our AM3352-SOM prototypes were assembled today

we test them now and they boot Debian hf for BeagleBoneBlack successfully

Tsvetan

Hi,

how i can buy a few Sampels ?

best Regards
Teo

This is very interesting … I’m thinking about building a board based on the AM335x. Right now I’m building capes with the additional RF modules I need, it works well enough, but I’d rather have a single, custom board (hopefully cheaper and requires less assembly!). However, there’s a big difference between designing and producing a simple, low component count cape and a complete SOC based linux system such as yours (or the BBB/RPi etc).

Do you (or anyone else!) have any thoughts or insight about the process of building a custom board such as this? You mention the cost as being €26 ea. in quantities of 1K, can you share any numbers on design costs (or was that in house) and setup costs for a run. Your board seems quite close both in features (aside from my RF modules) and price to what I’m looking to build.

BTW: I have looked at Gumstix’s Geppetto, but there doesn’t seem to be enough options as yet, and by building a AM335x based board, (as you mention) the software support is excellent.

Thanks.

We are currently in the middle of a project where Circuitco is making
custom modifications to a beaglebone black. I thought their per hour rates
were reasonable. They are also going to manufacture the board in quantity,
and the price was very similar to that of a "retail" beaglebone. I imagine
that they could extend the footprint of the BBB to include your RF module
quite easily.