AM5718

I have a question about the BeagleBoard with the processor AM5718.

Can we expect it some time in the future?

Stan

I can’t speak for Beagleboard.org on this on either if or time frame or form factor. That is up to Jason.

We do have a AM5718 board we are designing for a customer and it is up and running.

Gerald

If someone contributed an open design, that might help push the idea along. Not sure how much cheaper it could be than X15.

Jason writes:

> If someone contributed an open design, that might help push the idea along. Not sure how much cheaper it could be than X15.

How would the costs look if you took the BBG board design (or a BBB minus its graphics components), ripped out the AM3358 and its PMIC, and designed in an AM5718 and its PMIC instead?

I suspect such a barebones redesign would satisfy a lot of BBB users who would like to see a simple and least-cost upgrade to the very successful BeagleBone line.

Morgaine.

A lot bigger than the BBG, more expensive than the BBG, no support for the expansion connectors on the BBG and most likely, a different color.

A lot smaller than the X15, less expensive than the X15, no support for the expansion connectors on the X15, and most likely a plaid color.

Gerald.

BeagleBone Plaid... I sense a best seller! :slight_smile:

Although every board has an appropriate niche, the problem with the X15 from the PoV of BBB users is that its niche is not the BBB’s niche.

While the X15 is certainly interesting, it’s not going to help those BBB users who would like a little more power at a little more cost within the BBB form factor. X15 comes in at a much higher price point, and this puts it out of contention for many small IoT tasks where the BBB’s cost is seen as reasonable.

BBB has become very popular and a lot of people would like to see the line extended with an upgraded processor, as you know since it’s been a regular suggestion here. I’m sure you would fill this product space if you could, but I suppose TI’s “$5 AM335x” launch many moons ago was a one-off. Pity.

Morgaine.

Drew writes:

> BeagleBone Plaid… I sense a best seller! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t hold that against it. A haggis in the box would be a step too far though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although every board has an appropriate niche, the problem with the X15 from the PoV of BBB users is that its niche is not the BBB’s niche.

As has been stated many times over now. The X15 is not in the same “class” as the Beaglebone boards, but in the same class as the original beagleboards. With much newer and updated features of course. Cost wise, beagleboards have always been higher than beaglebones . . .

Another thing to consider is that the X15 has so many features, and features that far surpass those on the beaglebones, it makes the beaglebone boards look like toys. So in other words is something more along the lines of a dev board for the professional, and not the hobbyist.

With al that said, I too have a “dream” of a board I’d like to see as well. an AM5718 with networking, and USB only as “out of the box” peripherals only. With the rest of the on chip peripherals out to some form of a high density pin header. Granted, onboard eMMC, ad an sdcard reader would probably be good too now that I think of that.

Anyhow, a minimal board, something like the beaglebone black, but without hdmi would be awesome. Size for me would not be too important though. As the X15 really is not all that big to begin with. Anyhow, my “dream” board seems pretty close to the already existing x15 . . .

William writes:

> Anyhow, a minimal board, something like the beaglebone black, but without hdmi would be awesome.

Which of course is the focus of this thread, exploring whether the AM5718 could take us there. Apparently the answer is “No”, although the question that I actually posed was “How would the costs look” if AM3358 + PMIC were replaced by AM5718 + PMIC. It’s clear that it’s “more”, but it would be interesting to have some idea of the magnitude.

As you rightly point out, “**The X15 is not in the same ‘class’ as the Beaglebone boards, but in the same class as the original beagleboards”. That makes X15 advocacy inapplicable in a BBB or BBG context since X15 misses the BeagleBone price niche by a large margin. This will usually put it out of the running for those typically cost-constrained IoT applications where BBB found a good home.

Morgaine.

William writes:

> Anyhow, a minimal board, something like the beaglebone black, but without hdmi would be awesome.

Which of course is the focus of this thread, exploring whether the AM5718 could take us there. Apparently the answer is “No”, although the question that I actually posed was “How would the costs look” if AM3358 + PMIC were replaced by AM5718 + PMIC. It’s clear that it’s “more”, but it would be interesting to have some idea of the magnitude.

Have a look at the Cherry Blossom from Arrow Altech. It is a BBB but with no HDMI and no network.

http://www.arrow.altech.co.za/
http://www.arrow.altech.co.za/sites/arrow/files/Cherry%20Blossom%20TI%20Am%20Module.pdf

Yeah, well . . . Gerald has already made it clear that an X15 Beaglebone equivalent is not going to happen. I can understand why, after his explanation of what he’s gone through doing the two beaglebone boards.

But the cool thing is that the hardware is opensource, and someone out there is able to use the existing design to do whatever they want with it. Which means maybe someone can create a SFF version of the X15 ? However, I do know that there would be many obstacles in the way of such a project. Cost being a big one.

OK, so the AM5728 processor is listed at $75 and the AM5718 is listed at $45, so you have a savings of $30. The real cost is the 10 layer board of the x15 vs the 6 layer board of the BBB. Also, the track/spacing is much finer on the x15 and this is where the majority of the cost will be. Changing to the AM5718 and removing many of the peripherals may reduce the size of the board and so you can expect to see some savings. Getting close to the BBB price will be impossible.

Regards,
John

Have a look at the Cherry Blossom from Arrow Altech. It is a BBB but with no HDMI and no network.

Actually for the sake of this discussion, we do not really care about the BBB, except in dimension, and cost. But while we’re on the subject of a “headless” BB “replacement”. the BBG is a much better offering than the one you suggest. Which is of course in my opinion. The biggest factor here, a beaglebone without ethernet is a waste of a board.

Actually for the sake of this discussion, we do not really care about the BBB, except in dimension, and cost. But while we’re on the subject of a “headless” BB “replacement”. the BBG is a much better offering than the one you suggest. Which is of course in my opinion. The biggest factor here, a beaglebone without ethernet is a waste of a board.

Normally I would agree with that but when you look at automation, security, automotive and other non internet based products, it is huge cost saving to not have the unused features.

Most products that I use this technology for is for non internet based stuff.