an application like HyperTerminal on Linux?

Hi,
I am looking for an application which can use as a HyperTerminal on Linux. I am using Ubuntu. I found an application which is cutecom. Unfortanously, I don’t have much experience to make it run. I don’t know if someone has different software or know how to use this, please tell me.
I tried to run ./configuration then it told I need CMake. I got it, but I don’t know how to use it.

Best regards,
Thang Nguyen

Thang Nguyen wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for an application which can use as a HyperTerminal on Linux. I am using Ubuntu. I found an application which is cutecom. Unfortanously, I don't have much experience to make it run. I don't know if someone has different software or know how to use this, please tell me.
I tried to run ./configuration then it told I need CMake. I got it, but I don't know how to use it.

minicom

YES,that’s the most popular teminal for linux.

Another, you can try kterminal(I don’t know clearly).

Favor Tang wrote:

YES,that's the most popular teminal for linux.

Another, you can try kterminal(I don't know clearly).

Thang Nguyen wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for an application which can use as a HyperTerminal on
    > Linux. I am using Ubuntu. I found an application which is cutecom.
    > Unfortanously, I don't have much experience to make it run. I
    don't know
    > if someone has different software or know how to use this,
    please tell me.
    > I tried to run ./configuration then it told I need CMake. I got
    it, but
    > I don't know how to use it.

minicom

I prefer GTKterm myself.

sudo apt-get install gtkterm

[...]

GNU screen works well as a serial terminal program. It is installed by
default on most Linux distributions (and also on Mac OS X). In an
xterm/terminal window (replace PORT with the port, and SPEED with the
desired bits per second):

screen /dev/PORT SPEED

for example:

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Use Ctrl-A, K to exit; see the screen manpage for more information.

- Brian

Thank you everyone 330.gif

I have a question about minicom. When I input a line longer than the size of the minicom terminal, the new character just replace the end character. I don’t know how to type it after go to the end line.
For example:
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # setenv bootargs ‘console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait omapfb.video_mode=1024x768MR-16@60’
Best regards,
Thang Nguyen

330.gif

Thang Nguyen wrote:

I have a question about minicom. When I input a line longer than the size of the minicom terminal, the new character just replace the end character. I don't know how to type it after go to the end line.
For example:
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait omapfb.video_mode=1024x768MR-16@60'
Best regards,
Thang Nguyen

You need to enable line-wrap by pressing Ctrl-A then W.

Darius