Audio not working with my own compiled kernel image

Hi guys,

Sorry to really bother you but I need your help. I've been spending the last 4
days trying to build a kernel with audio support for my beagle board (rev B5)
without any luck. I have been getting different snapshots (2.6.28-omap1,
2.6.29-rc2) from the official l-o git site and building them with beagleboard
ALSA audio support enabled and I always getting the "write: Input/output error"
while playing a way file or a alignment exception crash. I also downloaded the
Angstrom patches
(http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/tree/packages/linux/linux-omap&id=6a6d6bab519aefb44e3d49d305134057adf7539e)
and applied them to the l-o tree, rebuilt the kernel, and the same problem still
occurred. I downloaded Steve Sakoman's l-o git snapshot, built it, and still
the same audio issue occurs. Everything seems to work except for the audio.

I downloaded the pre-built Angstom kernel (2.6.28-omap1) and also the only just
available for Rev C (uImage_revc.bin) and audio works fine! I'm not sure what
I'm doing wrong in building the kernel that the audio doesn't work. I'm using
the arm-2007q3 toolchain. I switched to the new arm-2008q3 toolchain and same
audio issue. The reason I need to rebuild the kernel because I need to do
driver development; I need to get TI's open source DSP/BIOS DSPLINK driver
compiled against the kernel in order to load the dsplinkk.ko module properly.
Our application is an audio application so I need audio to work.

Unless I can figure this out (hopefully you guys can help), I'm at the point
where I'm going to download the whole Angstrom demo source (most of which I
don't need) and do a build a scratch to see if I can produce a audio-working
uImage. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

Regards,
Andy

Thanks Arun for the response. I wonder how the uImage_revc.bin (2.6.28-omap1) image just placed (Jan 20) on BeagleBoard download site got built; it seems to be relatively new and audio works fine there. Also the Angstrom uImage (also 2.6.28-omap1) has audio working fine. All I need is to figure how these relatively new images were built; I tried to reproduce using the l-o git tree (older snapshots) without any luck.

I got desperate today so I went ahead and downloaded a Ubuntu 8.10 vmware image to create the development environment to do a Angstrom demo build from scratch. It took me a while because I had to do from behind my company's firewall =(. I'm finally at the point where I issued the "bitbake console-image" command now; this will take a while to download all the packages and do a build. Does anyone know what's the bitbake command (i.e. "bitbake linux-omap_2.6.28") to just do a kernel build (I don't care about the other stuff)? Hopefully, it will generate a working 2.6.28-omap1 uImage with working audio. Then I can at least use the kernel source to build TI's DSP/BIOS DSPLINK driver and my other drivers.

Regards,
Andy

Op 3 feb 2009, om 06:01 heeft ndno72-omap@yahoo.com het volgende geschreven:

Thanks Arun for the response. I wonder how the uImage_revc.bin (2.6.28-omap1) image just placed (Jan 20) on BeagleBoard download site got built; it seems to be relatively new and audio works fine there. Also the Angstrom uImage (also 2.6.28-omap1) has audio working fine. All I need is to figure how these relatively new images were built; I tried to reproduce using the l-o git tree (older snapshots) without any luck.

I got desperate today so I went ahead and downloaded a Ubuntu 8.10 vmware image to create the development environment to do a Angstrom demo build from scratch. It took me a while because I had to do from behind my company's firewall =(. I'm finally at the point where I issued the "bitbake console-image" command now; this will take a while to download all the packages and do a build. Does anyone know what's the bitbake command (i.e. "bitbake linux-omap_2.6.28") to just do a kernel build (I don't care about the other stuff)? Hopefully, it will generate a working 2.6.28-omap1 uImage with working audio. Then I can at least use the kernel source to build TI's DSP/BIOS DSPLINK driver and my other drivers.

if you do 'bitbake codec-engine' it will build the kernel, dsplink *and* codec-engine for you :slight_smile:

regards,

Koen

>
> I got desperate today so I went ahead and downloaded a Ubuntu 8.10 vmware
image to create the development environment to do a Angstrom demo build from
scratch. It took me a while because I had to do from behind my company's
firewall =(. I'm finally at the point where I issued the "bitbake
console-image" command now; this will take a while to download all the packages
and do a build. Does anyone know what's the bitbake command (i.e. "bitbake
linux-omap_2.6.28") to just do a kernel build (I don't care about the other
stuff)? Hopefully, it will generate a working 2.6.28-omap1 uImage with working
audio. Then I can at least use the kernel source to build TI's DSP/BIOS DSPLINK
driver and my other drivers.

if you do 'bitbake codec-engine' it will build the kernel, dsplink *and*
codec-engine for you :slight_smile:

Thanks Koen. I issued the command you gave me and for some reason, the codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz package is not available at www.angstrom-distribution.org; I manually point my browser to http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz and it doesn't exist. Do I need to go to TI's site to download it?

Here's the error:

NOTE: fetch http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz
--2009-02-03 05:21:41-- http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz
Resolving proxy.ext.ray.com... 147.16.223.200
Connecting to proxy.ext.ray.com|147.16.223.200|:80... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2009-02-03 05:21:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

NOTE: Task failed: Fetch failed: http://install.tarball.in.source.dir/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz
NOTE: package codec-engine-221-r6: task do_fetch: failed
ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
NOTE: package codec-engine-221: failed
ERROR: Build of /mnt/hd3/oe/openembedded/packages/dsplink/codec-engine_2.21.bb do_fetch failed
ERROR: Task 2 (/mnt/hd3/oe/openembedded/packages/dsplink/codec-engine_2.21.bb, do_fetch) failed
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 370 tasks of which 370 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Op 3 feb 2009, om 11:39 heeft ndno72-omap@yahoo.com het volgende geschreven:

I got desperate today so I went ahead and downloaded a Ubuntu 8.10 vmware

image to create the development environment to do a Angstrom demo build from
scratch. It took me a while because I had to do from behind my company's
firewall =(. I'm finally at the point where I issued the "bitbake
console-image" command now; this will take a while to download all the packages
and do a build. Does anyone know what's the bitbake command (i.e. "bitbake
linux-omap_2.6.28") to just do a kernel build (I don't care about the other
stuff)? Hopefully, it will generate a working 2.6.28-omap1 uImage with working
audio. Then I can at least use the kernel source to build TI's DSP/BIOS DSPLINK
driver and my other drivers.

if you do 'bitbake codec-engine' it will build the kernel, dsplink *and*
codec-engine for you :slight_smile:

Thanks Koen. I issued the command you gave me and for some reason, the codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz package is not available at www.angstrom-distribution.org; I manually point my browser to http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz and it doesn't exist. Do I need to go to TI's site to download it?

Yes, and have a look at the files in packages/dsplink/ as well, you need to setup some paths to point to the xdctools and dsp/bios, since they aren't redistributable and need someone to accept the license before unpacking.

regards,

Koen

>>
>> if you do 'bitbake codec-engine' it will build the kernel, dsplink *and*
>> codec-engine for you :slight_smile:
>>
>
> Thanks Koen. I issued the command you gave me and for some reason, the
codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz package is not available at
www.angstrom-distribution.org; I manually point my browser to
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/codec_engine_2_21.tar.gz
and it doesn't exist. Do I need to go to TI's site to download it?

Yes, and have a look at the files in packages/dsplink/ as well, you need to
setup some paths to point to the xdctools and dsp/bios, since they aren't
redistributable and need someone to accept the license before unpacking.

regards,

Koen

Thanks Koen, I finally got the kernel to build using bitbake to build the codec-engine. And yes, the audio works fine in that generate uImage (2.6.28-omap1). I'm not sure what's difference between what I did the last 4 days using the official l-o GIT tree with the Angstrom patches (with the arm-2007q3 toolchain) in which audio didn't work and this one using bitbake with openembedded sources; I wonder if it's the toolchain since the openembedded dev version built the whole Angstrom toolchain from scratch. How different is the arm-2007q3 toolchain (arm-none-linux-gnueabi-) vs the Angstrom built toolchain (arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-)? In the meantime, I guess I'll just use this working Angstrom-built kernel for my driver development.

Regards,
Andy