BB Blue repair

I broke my BB Blue doing something lame, knowing I shouldn’t and being just to lazy to disconnect power before plugging in a LIPO. No more boot.The green power led is lit, that’s it.

Does anyone do board level repair of this card for less than the price of a new BB Blue? If I buy a new one what is most current version of the board and where to buy?

The schematic I found doesn’t seem to match the board. The schematic doesn’t seem to always have component numbers. Here is the backside of the board if anyone can help me decipher manufacturer and version. Here is the legend of the schematic too. Note I left the 6v regulator in the snip. I’m sure I could solder those regulators and a few of the other components on the board, there is some surface mount on the board that would be probably be pretty difficult

5-35-58.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-30 183259.png

I measured a steady 5.05 vdc on the output of the 5v reg. The 6v reg on the schematic is a 9pin or more probable buck converter… confusing as the schematic is showing more than 8 pins but the part is 8 pin. It’s about here where I figured I should check on schematic versions and try to find one that matches my board.

5-37-18.jpg

S4469 I assume that’s a diode, I didn’t find a data sheet that matched that form factor is it d3, d6 or d9?..

Recap / summary;

• Are board level repairs available?
  • Can someone help me find a schematic that matches my board?
  • What’s the current version of the BB Blue board?

Thanks! - Jeff

I figured out the version number Rev A2

IMG_8566.jpg

• Jeff

Unfortunately this seems to be a common feature/issue of the BB Blue, Myself and others I know have experienced similar cases where the Blue just seemed to die for an unknown reason. I suppose someone might do well if they could create some sort of repair offering for these dead boards.

Cheers,

Jon

IMG_8566.jpg

I found @jadon Jason Kridner github beaglbone-blue repository with Eagle files. Then found a fork that is probably more authorities as it seems to have several newer changes, and well Beagleboard :-). beagleboard / beaglebone-blue

I wonder if there is a fork in KiCad? :wink:

How is 3.3V created?

I have some experience with KiCad and DipTrace however very little experience with Eagle.

I figured out how to highlight the 3.3V net, is there any kind of show origin command?

I’ve exported the parts list and the Netlist. In the parts list there is 5VREG and 6VREG I searched on just ‘3.3’ finding only one part L3 3.3 uH.What generates the 3.3 vdc? What is the origin of the 3.3 VDC?

• Jeff

3.3 Volts is generated inside the OSD3358 by a TI TPS65217C PMIC die
PMIC stands for Power Management IC
You can read the TI data sheet on the TPS65217C
But the OSD3358 is a multi-chip module, so not too much you can do, other than replace the entire OSD3358, if damaged.
And that would require BGA (Ball Grid Array) rework capability.
— Graham

these boards are throw away boards
Get a new one and dont do what you did to blow up
your blown up one

Indeed. Remember the OSD3358 is a 40$ part while the whole board is 80$. It’s just not a practical repair. If you were sure of the problem and swung by my lab with the replacement, I might fix it for ten bucks or free if you were fun to talk to. But as a business if you have to add in shipping and diagnostic time, it’s a total loss.

That’s the cost of the integrated system on a chip design of the OSD3358. Looks like a bare TPS65217C costs around 6$. That’s completely fixable, as a service.

If you have more time than money, you could try to somehow disable the integrated TPS65217C and provide an external 3.3V. Assuming that’s the problem at all; it’s more likely the load is shorted out than the supply, based on my experiences. Either way, sounds like a big job, I’d rather just buy a new one.

That’s exactly what I’ve been planning to do as last resort. Put an external 3.3vdc on the 3.3v rail and see what happens. It’s as much a learning exercise as a repair now… Hey! I can buy another board, but eighty bucks is eighty bucks :slight_smile:

• Jeff