BB-xm and Beagleboardtoys LCD7 Touchscreen issues

Hi, I’m trying to get the LCD7 touchscreen to work with my xm, and am having issues with getting the touch to work. The demo image given here (http://elinux.org/Beagleboardtoys:BeagleBone_xM_LCD7#Software_Support) works but doesn’t really suit my needs, as it doesn’t appear to have SPI enabled. I’ve tried compiling the kernel according to the instructions on the eewiki website (http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard) with the debian file system, but haven’t had any luck yet with any of the different branches. They boot up and the LCD works great, but I haven’t been able to get the touchscreen working. I’ve never really spent any time messing with the kernel before, so I’m a bit out of my depth here. If anyone has any suggestions on where I could go, either to get the SPI working on the demo image, or the touchscreen on the eewiki images that would be great. Thanks!

Does anyone have any advice for this? In previous threads (specifically https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/beagleboard/beagleboard-xm/iA7EfoPKP2Y) it says that the LCD7 works with the 3.2.x branch of the kernel from Robert Nelson’s git repository, which I’ve compiled using the directions on the wiki. The kernel boots and displays on the LCD, but isn’t detecting any expansion boards. Has anyone gotten the LCD7 working recently? It’s still listed on the eewiki page as an option, so I figured it would work without too much trouble.

Does anyone have any advice for this? In previous threads (specifically
Redirecting to Google Groups)
it says that the LCD7 works with the 3.2.x branch of the kernel from Robert
Nelson's git repository,

You can also use the v3.7.x branch..

which I've compiled using the directions on the
wiki. The kernel boots and displays on the LCD, but isn't detecting any
expansion boards.

Well, I never implemented expansion boards on top of lcd7..

Has anyone gotten the LCD7 working recently? It's still
listed on the eewiki page as an option, so I figured it would work without
too much trouble.

It still works on the v3.7.x branch, i'm looking to re-implement it in
v3.14/v3.15 when i have free time again.

Regards,

Awesome, thanks Robert, I’m compiling the 3.7.x kernel now, I’ll let you know how it goes when I test it out. Do I still use the v2014.01 u-boot or should I try another version? I only mentioned expansionboards since in the Angstrom kernel when I look in dmesg the lcd shows up as a beagleboard expansionboard. Does it show up the same way in this kernel?

Thanks,

Conor O’Brien

Awesome, thanks Robert, I'm compiling the 3.7.x kernel now, I'll let you
know how it goes when I test it out. Do I still use the v2014.01 u-boot or

You can use v2014.01, just make sure you do the revert + patch listed here:
http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard#BeagleBoard-Bootloader:U-Boot

The patch has a check for the lcd7 and turns on the lcd so it's
oriented correctly. (if you enable the usb sprz3.11 workaround in the
patch.sh script, you can ignore the u-boot revert..)

should I try another version? I only mentioned expansionboards since in the
Angstrom kernel when I look in dmesg the lcd shows up as a beagleboard
expansionboard. Does it show up the same way in this kernel?

Oh the lcd7 shows up as an expansion-board, what i actually meant.
Just don't plug in an expansion board into the lcd7's port, as i never
implement that setup.

Regards,

Hi Robert, again thanks so much for your help so far.

I’ve compiled the 3.7.x kernelcd and it boots up nicely, lcd works great. I haven’t installed a desktop environment on it yet (it will probably get xfce), but I still can’t find the touchscreen in /dev/input. I’m using the debian-7.3-minimal-armhf-2013-12-18 root file system from your website as in the wiki, and when I check the kernel with uname -r it returns 3.7.10-x13. Also when I look in dmesg for expansion boards it’s still saying it doesn’t see anything. Should I trying a different rootfs maybe? I can ping the lcd7 addresses using i2cdetect, although it looks like i2c2 and i2c3 are connected, as the same addresses are present on both and it looks like they’re connected on the LCD7 schematic. That seems weird but I don’t know if it could affect detection.