BBB eMMC health ...

Hi,
Could we get eMMC health (KE4CN2H5A),
I read about eMMC 4.5 and the health is not available ...
How to know when we need to change the BBB ?
A link for more informations about Kingstone eMMC
http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2014/6/10/4/18/30/859/kngs_/manual/kingstonembeddedmemorymar14.pdf

I have never heard of anyone having to replace and eMMC on the BBB.

If you are using it a lot then I suggest that you put a bigger one on.

Gerald

Hi,
I don't want to change the eMMC chips ...
I just want to know when the eMMC chips go to the end of life ...
And, also change the BBB (not the eMMC chip) !
Are there informations to know the MTBF of the BBB ?
Or wait a BBB with eMMC 5.0 ...
Thanks.

The eMMC will die when it runs out of space. If a sector goes bad, it gets marked as bad and you loose the space. It is all handled by the controller inside the eMMC. Very similar to a Solid State Drive.

MTBF depends on how you are using it. Most likely thing to fail would be the processor so you can use the MTBF of that devices. BBB is development board, not an industrial solution.

If you run this all full speed and high temperature, the MTBF will be shorter.

I believe we are already at 5.0 on eMMC, assuming all features are activated via the kernel.

Gerald

The eMMC will die when it runs out of space. If a sector goes bad, it gets marked as bad and you loose the space. It is all handled by the controller inside the eMMC. Very similar to a Solid State Drive.

MTBF depends on how you are using it. Most likely thing to fail would be the processor so you can use the MTBF of that devices. BBB is development board, not an industrial solution.

If you run this all full speed and high temperature, the MTBF will be shorter.

I believe we are already at 5.0 on eMMC, assuming all features are activated via the kernel.

I'm ok with you about bad block management in the controller ...
The kingston chips is KE4CN2H5A on the last BBB (eMMC 4.5)

Gerald:

What is the largest (addressable memory space) eMMC that will fit on the existing
board footprint on the BBB Rev. C ?

— Graham

Based on Kingston’s road map, 128GB. 64GB for Micron.

Next controllers will be 5.0.

Gerald