BBB eMMC, save files

Hi!

Newbie here, tried to Google and search for my question but did not find any good answers.
Im wondering about the eMMC on the BeagleBone Black. I have flashed Ubuntu to it. My question is: will the files I create in the home directories be written to flash or are they not persistent when I unplug the power?

Tried to create a user and change the pass of the default user… But after I unplugged the BBB it appears that the default password was restored and the new user did not exist.

Does the flash “reset” itself? And if so, is there any workaround?

Thanks.

/Fabbe

Flash is persistent. Just like an SD card. You write it. It is there until you either erase it or write over it with SW. It does not reset itself. It does not go away after power is removed.

Gerald

Hi!

Newbie here, tried to Google and search for my question but did not find any good answers.
Im wondering about the eMMC on the BeagleBone Black. I have flashed Ubuntu to it. My question is: will the files I create in the home directories be written to flash or are they not persistent when I unplug the power?

If you just unplug the power without syncing the file-system(s), it is quite likely that there are some data that are not yet written to persistent storage. Also SD and eMMC are not power-fail resistant during writes, so it is always good practice to halt the system prior to removing power.

HTH,

Dave.

DId you power down by just unplugging the BBB, or did you actually issue a reboot /shutdown command ? Also, how did you create the user ? I mean did you adduser and passwd ? How much space is left on the eMMC ? What did dmeg say ?

To answer your question. Technically anything you add to the system should be persistent. Of course this depends on many things. Also, for all I know Angstrom may have some “high speed” way of adding a user . . . No idea on that, since I do not use Angstrom.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I think I just did a sudo reboot from the terminal and then left the power off for a few minutes.

I added user via adduser. I did not see what dmesg said because the OS had already gone into the state it was when I first installed it.
How does it work, do the BBB put the filesystem and OS to RAM when the OS i run from eMMC? Or does it write to it directly?

Thanks