BBB Enable UARTs

Hi,

We’ve been using the BBB for a year or so now do act as webserver and a gateway to a zigbee based network. We have developed a cape that contains a zigbee device that we can easily communicate with through one of the UARTs.

We have had a working setup using the old April 2014 image that the BBB came shipped with, this needed to be brought up to date and I have been developing new software with the January 2016 image and a USB based zigbee device.

My trouble is, now I have come to test the software using the cape I cannot seem to enable the UARTs.

In my 2014 version I followed the instructions on this page: http://beaglebone.cameon.net/home/serial-ports-uart and this work successfully.

After “some” digging I found out about the config-pin application here: https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/beaglebone-universal-io and have checked the help page of the app. I had hoped this would solve the problem and tried to set the use of pins I wanted (to enable UART5) however I got an error message that there was no pinmux file. Having re-read the above page I don’t have half the directory structure that the instructions talk about, namely no ocp.* in /sys/devices/, so I’m completely stuck.

I just need to know how to enable UART5, I’m a fairly experienced linux user and very experience programmer, though my knowledge of Linux kernal stuff is terrible.

I also have a strange setup in my /dev/ for ttyO* I had expected there only to be ttyO0 as that was the only port enabled by default, is that still the case?

/dev# dir -l ttyO*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 25 14:30 ttyO0 → ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 25 14:30 ttyO1 → ttyS1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 25 14:30 ttyO2 → ttyS2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 25 14:30 ttyO4 → ttyS4

My Linux knowledge is also failing me here are these showing symbolic links? I’m not sure if this is part of why I can’t use the UARTs or something separate.

Sorry for the long post with a couple of problems in it.

Thanks

Lucent

So the difference you’re running into is the cape manager path naming I bet. But here: http://www.embeddedhobbyist.com/2015/09/beaglebone-black-updating-device-tree-files/

Read that, but you should not need worry about compiling the DTS files for kernel 4.4.x. But you can tell if they’re installed already by listing the contents of /lib/firmware/. Obviously if the directory does not exist, or it is empty, you need to either download the device tree overlay package, or build your own as I describe from the beginning of the link above.

Let me know if that’s enough information or not, and I’ll answer back answers to your questions . . .

Additionally I just read cameron’s page there and . . .

william@beaglebone:~/dev$ cat /boot/uEnv.txt

##Example v3.8.x
#cape_disable=capemgr.disable_partno=
#cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=

##Example v4.1.x
#cape_disable=bone_capemgr.disable_partno=
#cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=

You’re seeing the difference here ? But also I have no personally hands on tested this recently but ##Example v4.1.x should work for 4.4.x kernels too.

william@beaglebone:~/dev$ apt-cache search cape |grep overlay
bb-cape-overlays - Device tree overlays for Beaglebone.

The package above is the package you’re wanting to download, if your /lib/firmware is not populated, or is missing all together.

Sorry for the multi posts . . . but I’m pretty busy on my own :wink:

Thank you so much for your time!

It’s working now, I feel so stupid for missing it, it was the second post that did it, and so quickly.

I was still trying to get my head round all the info in the first when I when the second came in - so I tried that quickly

Can’t thank you enough!

Lucent

Thank you so much for your time!

heh, no problem. My comment yesterday about being busy was not meant in that way however. I just meant, that I’m busy doing my own thing, and hence is what is mostly on my mind. So, when I’m busy, and answer a post like yours, I tend to make multiple posts as additional things occur to me . .

It’s working now, I feel so stupid for missing it, it was the second post that did it, and so quickly.

I was still trying to get my head round all the info in the first when I when the second came in - so I tried that quickly

Can’t thank you enough!

Lucent

Awesome, glad that worked for you.

Hi I am facing the same issue I tried downloading the bb.org-overlays from the github repository ( https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays ) but It did n’t work for me any idea why?