BBB image release notes - where?

Hi,
I see that there is a 5-28-2013 BBB image on the circuitco wiki…
(…and that the landing page for the BBB update still says 5-20-2013…)

It’s nice to know what is supposed to change when updating software… (yes, this is a little gentle nudging) :wink:

Where are the release notes for the BBB image releases stashed?

Dave

I have yet to see any. You might ask koen.

Gerald

I have yet to see any. You might ask koen.

Nobody asks me anything. If they did 05.28 would have never went live.

Are you nuts? One! How about 100!!!

Could you elaborate on why we should avoid 5.28? It would be nice to know the area where the issues are so we know if it’s worth reflashing with 5.27.

5.28 looks good. I am particularly interested n the power button which seems to work.

Gerald

05.28 contains changes that were reverted, 05.27 is the one that should be used.

5.28 looks good. I am particularly interested n the power button which seems to work.

That works in 05.27 as well.

Great! One thing to consider, for those without the GUI, if they can press it and wait say 2-3 seconds and them press it again, then power down the board. Or, if nothing happens, nothing selected from the GUI, wait 5 seconds and then power down.

Thank you!

Thanks for the pointer.
Alas, it sort of reenforces the motivation for my asking… the change log on that page has two 2012 dates encoded in the link… That’s a bit stale for my tastes.

What I’d really like is for the release procedures to always post release notes at the same time a release is posted.
I know, I’m an old fashioned programmer that thinks that would be a damn fine idea. :wink:
Doing this can save in support time over the long haul - just count the number of posts asking “what’s in the new release”… they could all go away if there were release notes.
Dave

hi guys,
FYI the power button works in 2013-05-20 (I’ve been using it with that image).

I have noticed that the power cycle action is not consistent - it depends on what sources of power are supplied to the BBB.
(2013-05-20 image)

With only external 5V power (no usb cable), pressing and holding the pwr button unttil the board powers down works fine. Pressing it again will cause a power up.

With external 5V AND USB power, the log press results in power down. However, the act of letting up the pwr button up causes an immediate pwr up cycle.
So the result is that you can power off only as long as you are willing to continue holding the button down…

Dave

The new version works by pressing it once. The SW then gives you the option of reset or power off.

The power cycle is a result of you holding the button down too long. If you do, it will cause a power cycle and come back up immediately.

Gerald

So these are not adequate? What else would you like to see?

http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=Updating_The_Software

Gerald

Gerald,
That is a huge improvement. Before the image links were listed but there was no info at all as to what was in the image.
With the minimal bullet points on the page now, one can look and make some judgement as to whether an image has any changes that will either help or hinder their system.

Not to sound ungrateful, but… (there is that “but” word again…) it would be nice if

1. the bullets for an image were not lost when the image is replaced and moved to the “prior image section in the future”. Keeping the bullets on the web page will tend to make the page get larger over time. This is why it’s nice to create a chrological change log that is updated with each release. Makes it feasible for someone to look at the log and pick an image to try when they are looking for which release causes a symptom etc.

2. When new features are added (current example: power button), the release notes are the place to put a description of how the new feature is supposed to work/be used. Without that, people will just ask if what they experience is “right” or not.

Dave

hum… I’ve only tried 5-20 (not flashed to 5-27 yet).
OK, so a momentary press of the pwr button is enough to start the power down cycle.
with the 5-20 image, a momentary press ( of various durations) is a no-opp when I try it.

When you say “The SW then gives you the option of reset or power off.”, where is that supposed to happen visually?
I don;t get any reaction on either the HDMI display or the serial console putty window.
The lack of system response is what made me try the “press and hold” of the pwr button -

What I’ve been doing is holding it down until the board powers off.
Note that I’m not seeing a power down and then up cycle as the result of holding down the pwr button for “too long”.
The event sequence I see is:

External 5v ONLY:

1. button down.
  2. board powers down
  3. continue holding button down as long as I like - makes no difference.
  4. Let button up, board stays powered down

External 5v and USB power:

1. button down.
  2. board powers down
  3. board stays down as long as button is down.
  4. Let button up, board powers back up.
    I’d guess here that the “button up” event is being seen in this case because the USB power is enabling some hardware section that the external 5V is not? That seems a far fetched guess, but matches the symptoms.

What’s puzzling is why the same button actions (whether too long a press or not) cause different power actions depending on what sources of power are present. I’d have expected the same behavior no matter what the power sources.

Dave

Thanks for the pointer.
Alas, it sort of reenforces the motivation for my asking... the change log on that page has two 2012 dates encoded in the link... That's a bit stale for my tastes.

What I'd really like is for the release procedures to always post release notes at the same time a release is posted.

That isn't the problem, the problem is that no one tells me what ends up as a release. Just look at the 05.28 fiasco. Everything is tagged and changelogs can generated automatically.

I know, I'm an old fashioned programmer that thinks that would be a damn fine idea. :wink:
Doing this can save in support time over the long haul - just count the number of posts asking "what's in the new release"... they could all go away if there were release notes.

Here's what changed between the 05.20 and 05.27 images:

Changes to meta-openembedded in between 20130520-1809..20130527-1549

Koen Kooi (5):
      tvheadend: update to 3.5+git
      python-pip: add 1.3.1
      oscam: add svn version
      oscam: update to latest SVN
      tvheadend: update to latest git

Paul Eggleton (2):
      collectd: add recipe for 5.2.2
      collectd: fix build failure with libnotify in sysroot

Changes to meta-beagleboard in between 20130520-1809..20130527-1549

Koen Kooi (3):
      linux-mainline 3.8: PRU, CAN and RS232 fixes
      linux-mainline 3.8: add support for TSP65217 interupts
      linux-mainline 3.8: add usb hotplug fix

Changes to openembedded-core in between 20130520-1809..20130527-1549

Richard Purdie (1):
      libtool-cross: Add missing libltdl components to install

And you can always view the beagle related work in progress here:

Commits · beagleboard/meta-beagleboard · GitHub

hum.... I've only tried 5-20 (not flashed to 5-27 yet).
OK, so a momentary press of the pwr button is enough to start the power down cycle.
with the 5-20 image, a momentary press ( of various durations) is a no-opp when I try it.

When you say "The SW then gives you the option of reset or power off.", where is that supposed to happen visually?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNXr67BplJM

On the GUI a window pops up. Just like using the mouse to invoke shutdown. Load the image and give it a try.

As to the button operation,.read the datasheet for the TPS65217C. It describes how the button works. We have no control of that. All we do is use the button to generate an interrupt allow the SW to shutdown the TPS65217C if it chooses to. Other features could be added to how the button works via a SW change.

Gerald