BBB USB Host issue

Hi,

I working on a project where I need to use the USB host interface to connect a FTDI module. The problem is that I can’t see the ttyUSB0. If I do lsusb this is what I get:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So the FTDI module is loaded, but still can’t see the ttyUSB0. The kernel version is 3.8.13. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this work? Do I need to add a bone_cape or something else?

Richard

I’m not sure how people normally deal with this. On a different linux machine (not BBB), I have several USB serial adapters attached and I need them to be assigned specific device names so that software can find them. (i.e. can’t trust the ttyUSBn ordering) I found the best way was to add an entry to /etc/udev/rules.d/usbtty.rules

Something like this…

SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{manufacturer}==“Prolific Technology Inc.”, ATTRS{product}==“USB-Serial Controller D”, KERNEL==“ttyUSB*”, SYMLINK+=“uniquename”

(all one line in the file!)

Your matching rules may vary. I believe the SUBSYSTEM and KERNEL clauses will help udev match your device, especially if the device has multiple interfaces.

Of course you will need to change the manufacturer and product (or use {idProduct} and {idVendor} instead) to match your product. Once this is done (and maybe kill -HUP on the systemd-udev process), the device should be recognized and you can find your device at /dev/uniquename.

Craig

Hi,

I working on a project where I need to use the USB host interface to connect a FTDI module. The problem is that I can't see the ttyUSB0. If I do lsusb this is what I get:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

So the FTDI module is loaded, but still can't see the ttyUSB0. The kernel version is 3.8.13. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this work? Do I need to add a bone_cape or something else?

The current kernel is buggy, so USB hotplugging does not work. You need to have the stuff inserted at boot time for it to be detected.If you need hotplugging, then a hub inbetween
(which is never unplugged) is a workaround.

If the adapter is unplugged, then it wont be detected again, but since your adapter is detected, I do not think this is Your problem.
Offered TI to fix this, but they say that a fix is in the works, but have no clue when.

I use Angstrom which will provide /dev/ttyUSB0 when inserted at boot time.

Which linux are you using?

/ulf

16 Kasım 2013 Cumartesi 00:07:25 UTC+2 tarihinde rno...@gmail.com yazdı:

Hi,

I working on a project where I need to use the USB host interface to connect a FTDI module. The problem is that I can’t see the ttyUSB0. If I do lsusb this is what I get:

So the FTDI module is loaded, but still can’t see the ttyUSB0. The kernel version is 3.8.13. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this work? Do I need to add a bone_cape or something else?

Richard

I have like this problem. I plug usb joystick . I can lsusb
`
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c21f Logitech, Inc. F710 Wireless Gamepad [XInput Mode]

`

but cant created js0

Ulf Samuelsson, I use Angstrom. Even if I plug the FTDI module into the USB port prior to boot time the problem persists.

Plug in FTDI module to usb host

Power up beagle

enter the following command:

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0403 product=0x6001

Hopefully after a second or so you will see a new entry in the dev directory.