BBBlue connmanctl> enable wifi Error

I picked up a BBBlue yesterday and ran into a problem trying to connect wifi

connmanctl> enable wifi Error wifi: Method “SetProperty” with signature “sv” on interface “net.connman.Technology” doesn’t exist

Hello,

On the BBBlue and other wifi enabled BBB variants w/ the newer kernels and images, I saw somewhere on this forum that /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_suppliment-wlan0.conf should get wifi working.

I am not sure exactly what image and kernel you are using.

If you would like to provide that info, okay. If not, you can always try that file.

Seth

P.S. I know that connmanctl used to work w/ kernels 4.19.x and prior but that beagleboard persons chose to use networkd w/ the more updated kernels: Debian 11.x (Bullseye) - Monthly Snapshots

I used: bone-eMMC-flasher-debian-10.3-iot-armhf-2020-04-06-4gb.img

My current situation is that the connmanctl services is now returning a list of the available WiFi networks, but the example I am looking at to connect is using a wifi_(big long hex number)_managed_psk and not the name and it is not connecting, I suspect somewhere in the long number I copied something wrong, my next effort will be to compare numbers and see if there is a mistake. I will also look into the link you provided and networkd. Thanks for that.

I got interested in BBBlue because it was mentioned in conjunction with a couple of robot control softwares. One for flight and the other for racing cars.
The BBBlue is selling at Amazon for $47 which is about half price. They also have a kit of connectors and preconnected wires for $18 that fit the various little connectors on the BBBlue.

Hi @LenR, this is just the way connman encodes the wifi names:

# connmanctl services
MyNetwork               wifi_dc85de828967_68756773616d_managed_psk
OtherNET                wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk
AnotherOne              wifi_dc85de828967_3257495245363836_managed_wep
FourthNetwork           wifi_dc85de828967_4d7572706879_managed_wep
AnOpenNetwork           wifi_dc85de828967_4d6568657272696e_managed_none

Every wifi network is identified by a name composed as

wifi_<hashlocal>_<hashremote>_managed_<encrption>

If you were connecting to OtherNET in the example above you would type:

# connmanctl> connect wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk

WIth the transition to Bullseye, we moved from connman → systemd-network so wifi configuration changed…

Latest Buster: Debian 10.x (Buster) - Monthly Snapshots (connman based)

Latest Bullseye: Debian 11.x (Bullseye) - Monthly Snapshots (systemd-networkd)

Regards,

I looked at the latest Bullseye and noted their was no flasher files like Buster, but a separate flasher file from the Linux download. How does it get used?

There are flashers in the same root directory of the web server. But for the Blue and robot control, you really want to stick with Buster at this point. As that 4.19.x/robotcontrol library was the most tested…

Regards,

The identification strings match in the connmanctl services command and the connmanctl connect connect but it returns an error of “Not Registered”. Is there something else I need to do?

You ‘quit’ too quickly, connmanct should ask you for the password… Within a minute or so…

Regards,

When I enter the connmanctl connect command, it immediately returns with “Error /net/connman/service/wifi_(the big hex number)_managed_psk: Method connect” with signature “” on interface “net.connman.Service” doesn’t exist

I found: ConnMan - ArchWiki and I see there are some rules for using it interactively. I will go away and study this.

I was missing the “agent on” command that was needed interactively. I manually connected and updated and upgraded Buster. Now to figure out how to make it happen when it boots up… I also found out that it will auto fill the address with “tab” once you get it to a unique part. :grin:

95% of the time, it’ll remember… as it’s now saved that ssid/wifi mac address relationship…

Regards,