BBONE-AI - Operating Temp Min & Max

Hi Team,

Please see the below issue one of customer asking for the operating Temperature Min & Max if available for BBONE-AI Board.

Customer Issue – ‘Hello Team, customer cannot find Operating Temperature Min and Max - please, could you provide Thank you so much for your help Peter’

Siddeshappa M S

sms@element14.com

Product Categorisation Manager

PDD

image001.png

IBC Knowledge Park, Tower D ,11th Floor Bannerghatta Main Road, Bangalore-29

O +91080.40003880.34904

M +919945211348

www.farnell.com

Disclaimer*

The contents of this e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error, please destroy it immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. The views stated herein do not necessarily represent the view of the Company.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission. The Company does not accept any liability for viruses.

element14 India Pvt Ltd

IBC Knowledge Park

11th Floor, Tower “D”, 4/1
Bannerghatta Main Rd, Suddagunte Palya, Bengaluru-560029
Karnataka, India
TEL: 91 804000 3888
FAX: 91 804000 3880
A Premier Farnell Company
Company Number: U30009KA2007PTC044448

It’s kinda funny you don’t have that information… As your company manufactures the board. :wink:

Regards,

image001.png

Robert,

Interesting. There has been a ton of discussion regarding the heating issue with the BB AI on the Element14 forums, however, in the end, the BeagleBoard forum seems to be the location that is referenced for the final say and info regarding this. If Avent build the board, then they should provide this information. Thanks for the clarification.

I’ve added the X-15 fan kit to my BB AI as is stated in the SRM and it seems to stay around 40C during normal use.

Jon

Robert,

Interesting. There has been a ton of discussion regarding the heating issue with the BB AI on the Element14 forums, however, in the end, the BeagleBoard forum seems to be the location that is referenced for the final say and info regarding this. If Avent build the board, then they should provide this information. Thanks for the clarification.

So Jason's been working on cpu setting:

Usually when users ask for the "Operating Temp Min & Max" values,
someone has to go dig thru all the components used on the board.. That
hasn't been done..

I've added the X-15 fan kit to my BB AI as is stated in the SRM and it seems to stay around 40C during normal use.

That one will work, it's noisy, i'm using a desk fan.. There is a 'fan
cape' coming..

Regards,

Thanks for the update.

Yeah, I seen that Cape in a Jason vid and will be grabbing one when available. There is someone on the element14 forums creating their own Fan cape as well.

Cheers,

Jon

I’ve just got my AI sitting in front of a 20" box fan(on low) I have running 24/7 anyhow

debian@beaglebone:~$ uptime
15:13:17 up 12 days, 9:30, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.15, 0.10
debian@beaglebone:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp
Anyway, not sure what all the talk is about. It states plain as day on the beaglebone.org “product” page that the board is prone to run hot . . .

Please! Disable the GPU and any other graphics accelerators if you are not using the board with a display. The GPU, IVA, and HDMI are not needed for any machine learning use. Disabling any cores you’re not using will help temperatures greatly.

Isn’t the purpose of OpenCL is to handle the parallel processing between CPU, GPU, and other related devices? Disabling the GPU seems counter intuative. Where are you getting your data that a GPU is not needed for Machine Learning? This again seems counter intuative.

Jon

The TI Deep Learning SDK uses OpenCL interface to the DSP cores and
the EVE (embedded vision engine). Here is an overview:
http://downloads.ti.com/mctools/esd/docs/tidl-api/intro.html

Regards,
Drew

Yeah, I seen this, but this was not referenced in the comment. The comment implied the GPU is not used in any ML implementation. This I don’t agree with.

Jon