is tagged as alternate power supply. Hence I have the following two
questions.
1: Is the board powered by this power supply or is it powered by some
other source like usb?
2: I have a spare power supply with rating +5v/2.5A, can I just use
this power supply for the beagle board?
Thanks
Prasanna

Power supply information cna be found in the Systems Reference Manual. http://beagleboard.org/hardware/design
As long as your power supply matches the requirements it should work.

Gerald

Hi Prasanna,

5V, 2.5 A should be fine ! But its always good to check if your supply voltage from the adapter is right and a multimeter should help you check that out (I have had a lot of bad experience as the rated voltage on the power supplies in India are most of the times not accurate) !

Even the reference manual says the same " It says regulated voltage 5V" and if that is taken care then your board should be up with no trouble !

Ram

Hi

It is noted that, the max current should not exceed 2A in the specs.
Iam also looking for the right power supply for my Beagle Board.
Let me know your suggestions.

8.2.2 Wall Supply Source
A wall supply can be used to provide power to the board. A regulated 5V DC supply of at
least 500mA is required. It needs to have a 2.1mm plug with a center hot configuration.
WARNING: DO NOT PLUG IN ANYTHING BUT 5V TO THE DC
CONNECTOR OR THE BOARD WILL BE DAMAGED!
In the event that a higher DC load is required due to the addition of a Daughtercard a
higher current supply can be used. The maximum current should not exceed 2A.

Thanks,
NajmuS.

The max current depends on what you place on the USB host ports. They can take as much as 500mA each. So, you need to decide what you plan to do with those ports before you can decide what you need. Typically a 3A supply will be fine as long as it is well regulated and has the right connetor and polarity.

Gerald