[beagleboard] BeagleBoard as SPI slave: is it possible?

Which BeagleBoard are you referencing?

Gerald

Sorry, I forgot to mention. That’s the BeagleBone.

Many thanks for your help

Gerald, isn’t the answer yes for all of them?

Yes, I believe so. But I am not sure if I have heard of anyone in the community doing it.

Gerald

Hello Jason,

By all of them do you mean, all the beagle Bone series, or it means Beagle series, as i 've seen, the BeagleBoard Rev C doesn’t support Slave mode. Only SPI 3 and SPI 4 can be used and that too in MASTER mode only. This is what the TRM for C3 Revision Specifies.

Gerald, isn’t the answer yes for all of them?

Which BeagleBoard are you referencing?

Gerald

Hello,

I would like to know whether the BeagleBoard can be used as an SPI slave?

You can always find it in TRM of the Board you are using.

The board can only do what the data sheet or TRM days the processor can do. There is no magic hardware on the board. If the TRM says no slave operation then that is what the various boards can do

Gerald

Dear Gerald,

There is a sticker on the ethernet connector saying “BeagleBone Rev. A6a”. Can this one work in SPI slave mode?
Alternatively, could anyone point me to the documentation where I can find this information?

Thank you very much for any help!

I suggest that you go to the AM3358 Technical Reference Manual. This is all controlled by the processor on the board.

http://www.ti.com/general/docs/litabsmultiplefilelist.tsp?literatureNumber=spruh73h

Gerald

I too am planning to use SPI1 in slave mode (on BeagleBone). It looks like the linux driver on /dev/spidev2 only supports master mode though, so some additional driver work will have to be done.

Regards,
Jim

I too am planning to use SPI1 in slave mode (on BeagleBone). It
looks like the linux driver on /dev/spidev2 only supports master mode
though, so some additional driver work will have to be done.

I believe the Linux kernel only supports SPI operation in master mode.

See kernel doc line, "This document (and Linux) currently only supports
the master side of SPI interactions." at
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/spi/spi-summary

-Andrew