my linux to compile my codes? I am using hyperTerminal on windows 7 to
communicate with mu board.
Should I use hyperTerminal to install gcc or is it better if I connect
my SD-Card using a card reader to my host pc and install anything I
need on it?

Please let me know what I can do.

Bests,
--Nastaran

It most certainly has gcc. What makes you make that broad and completely untrue statement?

Because I tried to gcc a file that ls showed it existed, and the
result was "could not find test.c". I checked the eistance of gcc
using "locate" and "which" and there was no answer.
So, why do you think I have this error?

Bests,
--Nastaran

Because I tried to gcc a file that ls showed it existed, and the
result was "could not find test.c". I checked the eistance of gcc
using "locate" and "which" and there was no answer.

So you are saying "there's no gcc in this specific rootfs" and from there you say "there's no gcc in all of angstrom". Have you tried installing it with opkg? Have you tried selecting it in narcissus? Have you tried to look it up in the online package browser?

Thanks for the solutions that you mentioned.

I’m pretty sure that I said “this” angstrom. I meant just the angstrom that I was working with :slight_smile:
I am a newbie in linux and in beagleboard, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge and I would really appreciate it if you answer my questions with more patience.

I checked “opkg” and it does not contain “gcc”. There is a “gcc” folder down the “usr” path. Its version is 4.3.1 and it just has"cc1" file. I think it cannot be the full “gcc” package. When I tried “opkg install gcc”, the result was “cannot find package gcc”. I also tried the full path for gcc, it did not work neither.

At the moment I am trying to connect to internet using my beagleboard and download gcc package or use the narcissus. However, it oddly changes the static IP that I set to something else and obviously there is no connection. The dhcp does not give me an IP neither. And, when I connect the Ethernet adapter to the beagleboard USB, I get “usb 1-2.3: Rx status -32” on my serial terminal.

Would you please let me know how I can move files to my board? Can I use the serial terminal of my PC? Should I remove the SD-Card and copy my files on it using a card reader and my PC?

Thanks in advance,

–Nastaran

I’ve just resolved my problem with internet. the power of the USB Hub that I was using to connect the Ethernet adapter was low.
Now I’m downloading the Narcissus and gcc packages on my board :smiley:

Bests,
–Nastaran

Nastaran,

You probably need to download binutils as well. If your BB is connected to the internet, you can use the command below at a terminal window.

opkg install binutils

Jake

Thank you so much. Ok, I will install it. What exactly is this package for?

–Nastaran

Thank you so much. Ok, I will install it. What exactly is this package for?

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=binutils (the wiki result is most descriptive).