Beagleboard hangs on startup

I've been running Ubuntu on my beagleboard and it has been working
fine. I decided to try to run angstrom so I bought a new SD card and
went through the formatting and image burning steps, put it in the
board and when I start it up I get this over the serial:

U-Boot SPL 2011.12-00010-ga3eb89c (Jan 29 2012 - 14:53:43)
Texas Instruments Revision detection unimplemented

and it hangs there.

So I decided to switch back to the Ubuntu MMC but I get the same thing
and the original demo sd card doesn't work either anymore.

I'm using a 5V adapter that has been working fine in the past... I'm
really not sure what could be wrong. Is it possible the board was
damaged in some way? I'm only seeing the one led (D5) when powered on.
The sd card LEDs don't come on anymore like they used to.

I saw the similar error on my xm board.

Did you try with xloader/MLO or u-boot-main/MLO ?

I've solved the problem with xloader/MLO.

And.. is there anyone to tell me difference of the MLOs ??

I forgot to mention that the original demo SD card gives this:

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Mar 27 2011 - 17:37:56)
Beagle xM
Reading boot sector
u-boot.bin not found or blank nand contents - attempting serial boot …

Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0x80008000 at 115200 bps…

Also hongwoo, I’m not sure what you mean by trying the different loaders.

On 1 card I currently have MLO, u-boot.img, and uImage on the boot sector of the card.
On the other I have MLO, u-boot.bin, uEnv.txt, uImage

I forgot to mention that the original demo SD card gives this:

Beagle xM
Reading boot sector
u-boot.bin not found or blank nand contents - attempting serial boot …

Have you solved your issue?

My beagleboard xM (rev A?) has a similar, it was working correctly and all of the sudden it decided to not initialize the mmc in the 2nd stage of the bootloader anymore. At least in my case the x-loader is not initializing the mmc subsystem, mmc_init(1) returns 0 (which is odd as the x-loader MLO file is correctly read from the MMC by the ROM code)

I have tested trying to load u-boot via UART and via USB (or even loading all x-loader, u-boot and uImage via USB), but its a no go on either of those methods as when jumping to the u-boot address the board just hangs

The odd part is that this has been a hobby project, that I did, intermittently, over the last two years, and when at last I was at the final phase (and having a device that booted to the user UI in 1.5 seconds, with a very dynamic fully hardware accelerated interface) now this BeagleBoard decided to just stop working. I dont have a JTAG to debug why the x-loader can’t init the mmc, and manually debugging (via printf tracing) is just too slow of a process (and after two years of waiting for the weekends or any free time to complete this, I’m not sure I want to do that). Maybe this is the excuse to try that PandaBoard (as the similar price and stock makes it a somewhat good option, instead of just replacing with a new BBxM but waiting weeks for it to be back on stock)

Lioric

Hi there,

as Daniel stated here, I have the same exact problem, one of the beagleboards I have for development suddenly stopped working (in fact there are three beagleboards xM with the same problem, two of them almost dead). I was working with it without any problem, but someday I was going to turn it on and the BB never booted. When I conected the serial cable to see the serial log via console, with the BBxM Tester image (the one that comes with every BB) I have the following output:

Beagle xM
Reading boot sector
u-boot.bin not found or blank nand contents - attempting serial boot . . .

and the board hangs there.

When I try to boot the BB with a Robert Nelson Ubuntu minimal image, I have the following output:

U-Boot SPL 2012.04.01-00005-g45939b4 (Apr 30 2012 - 09:34:17)
Texas Instruments Revision detection unimplemented

and the board also hangs there.

When I try to boot the BB with the validation image (http://beagleboard-validation.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/201008201549/sd/beagleboard-validation-201008201549.img.gz) the board takes a while to show something, when it does it, in the serial log I have a bunch of strange characters, like, when you set a wrong speed in the serial port. Thinking that the validation image did its job, I try to boot the BB with the other images without any success. So, as far as I know this is not a HW related problem, since the serial port and the board is showing or doing something, but I don’t know what else to do in order to get the BB back to work. If you have any comment, please post it to know if there is something really wrong on what I’m doing, or if the board cannot be fixed at all,

thank you and best reggards,

Victor