[beagleboard] Rant

1. Why 2GB? Cost. We hard a hard cost goal to meet and the only way to do that was to cut some things. You can swap that to a 8GB if you like as it is footprint compatible. We just could not afford the cost. I can get you a board built with 8GB if you need it. Take about 5 minutes to do it. Now, it won’t cost $45, but I am sure cost is not an issue in your case.

2. Agreed. we are on anew 3.8 kernel and support i snot yest upstream. maybe we should go back 3.2. I will leave further response to the SW people.

3. You don’t have to use Angstrom. Have you tired any of the others we have listed?

Gerald

Didn’t mean to bad mouth the hardware, it is generally the operators inexperience. Been banging my head against these walls for too long with no solutions. My BBB stopped booting with the microSD a week ago and I have been trying to complete a project with the eMMC since then.

My ultimate goal has been to install wkPython but I have been chasing dead ends for a while now.

I am going to try Debian see if that will help.

Thanks for the advice.

Good luck!

Gerald

jacob,

#1 I understand what you’re saying, but there are at least 3 other easy options for storage. uSD being the obvious one, with networked storage, and USB storage as options. You can even boot over a network, and from USB.

#2, and #3. If Angstrom does not cut it for you. Install another distro on an SD card and see if your options broaden. It seems you’re willing to try Debian, which i personally use, and like a lot.

Anyhow issuing apt-cache search python | grep wx. . . .

root@arm:~# apt-cache search python |grep wx
boa-constructor - RAD tool for Python and wxWindows application
python-hachoir-wx - wxWidgets GUI for the hachoir binary parser
libmgl-wx5 - library for scientific graphs. (wxWidgets runtime library)
pyprompter - intelligent predictive wxPython text editor
python-traitsbackendwx - WxPython backend for Traits and TraitsGUI (Pyface)
python-wxmpl - Painless matplotlib embedding in wxPython
python-pythoncard - wxPython-based GUI construction framework (underlying Python libraries)
pythoncard - wxPython-based GUI construction framework (meta-package)
pythoncard-doc - wxPython-based GUI construction framework (documentation and samples)
pythoncard-tools - wxPython-based GUI construction framework (optional development tools)
python-squaremap - wxPython control to display hierarchic data as nested squares
tpclient-pywx - Thousand Parsec Python client
python-wxglade - GUI designer written in Python with wxPython
python-wxgtk2.8 - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding)
python-wxgtk2.8-dbg - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding, debug version)
python-wxtools - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython common files)
python-wxversion - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython version selector)
wx2.8-examples - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (examples)

Just out of curiosity, Gerald, what would you charge to replace the 2GB chip with an 8GB chip? I'd be all about that upgrade if you would offer it.

I would guess around $75-$80. Just buying one 8GB eMMC, it’s gonna be expensive! Not sure what the leadtime would be on that part.

Gerald

I might be interested in one too, but that’d make 3 it 3 people short of 5 for .0001% off( bulk buying ). All joking aside, I am sure many people would be interested, but yeah we’re here, and not there yet.

Put me up for a GbE PHY too :wink: I’ll hold my breathe while waiting too !

Ah! Gig Phy. Now you are really talking cost! I went down that path on BBW. Everything I could find was really pricey. It is a balancing act, value versus cost. And no matter what you do, you don’t make everyone happy. I am surprised no one has mentioned a 1G DDR version either.

So, the question becomes how much would enough people be willing to pay for a 1G DDR, 8G eMMC, and 1G Ethernet board and how many people is that exactly? Volume is a way of getting the cost down. So if only say 10,000 were interested, then that would result in higher overall costs not even considering the newly added parts.

Gerald

idk Gerald you might be surprised. But it would depend on price. If you could target the BBW price with those features, id imagine they would have little trouble selling

Here is the context I am thinking for such hardware Gerald. That hardware would make the perfect home network storage board. SATA would be cool too, but personally I’d be happy with USB. I keep hearing people moan when i mention that, but I honestly have had ZERO problems with USB.

We have four boards as it is, to support. But, if the demand is there, who’s to say what might pop out next. I just don’t have any illusions about making every one happy.

Gerald

Oh, I understand, there are many things to think of. I was just tossing out one of my own personal “dream” boards. I have always wanted to build my very own NAS, or SAN. That is with something other than a PC/Server x86 system. As a one or two off, I could not afford to build one on my own. Well I could, but after some set price the point become lost.

William Hermans wrote:

Here is the context I am thinking for such hardware Gerald. That
hardware would make the perfect home network storage board. SATA would
be cool too, but personally I'd be happy with USB. I keep hearing
people moan when i mention that, but I honestly have had ZERO problems
with USB.

you can reach about 20MB/s reading/writing to a HDD/SSD on the Beablebone Black. While this is slightly above 100Mbit/s, you
do not gain much by making your networking 1000Mbit/s...

21.6MB/s writes. Which is twice as fast. Anyhow you all stop bothering me with this trivial bullshit and dragging this topic on.

LOL!! Just stop responding! : )

Gerald

lol Gerald

sometimes when i first wake up in the morning, I am snippy, and have no patience for nitpicking . . .

It’s all good. Knowing that ~20MB/s is peak HDD performance ? is a good thing i suppose. IN my own experience, I am getting ~21MB/s writes, and 10.6MB/s reads. Which i thought was odd almost as though reads/write in performance were backwards. It is using a crappy USB controller though.

Anyhow yeah I’ll stop responding, unless I happen to read a reply to this again when i just wakeup :wink: