[beagleboard] Re: BeagleBone ethernet VERY slow?

I’m also seeing slow Ethernet on my custom board based off the BeagleBone. I have TI looking into it. I dumped some of the PHY registers and it indicated the link was running at 10MB/s and negotiation of 100MB/s failed. I’ll post here if I get a solution.

I’m also seeing slow Ethernet on my custom board based off the BeagleBone. I have TI looking into it. I dumped some of the PHY registers and it indicated the link was running at 10MB/s and negotiation of 100MB/s failed.
I’ll post here if I get a solution.

Is it the same case for Ubuntu images as well?

check your ethernet cable for proper wiring if its not perfect it will fall back to 10-base t

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_lan.htm#100s

What do you see when you run the IPERF test on it?

Gerald

If I read this correctly. something is definitely messed up here. Let me try a few things here and I will get back to you tomorrow. I am having the people at the factory pull some boards and run the test. I will let you know what they find.

Gerald

I get the exact same errors on my BBB

never used iperf before

OK some info iperf.acd.net <http://iperf.acd.net> seems to be the issue

i installed iperf on my server and use it to test the bone with via the internet and it works

install iperf on a known server preferably on the same subnet as the bone

and rerun your tests i think you will see it working

this is over my crappy wireless to lousy DSL to my uber fast linode

root@beaglebone:/etc# iperf -c wulfman.com -P 10 -t 240 -w 130000

You need something to download from of a known speed and performance. That is hard to do over the internet.

If you had two board, you could use them, back to back.

Gerald

i stopped the server last night i can re-enable it if you need it to test

Just give us some time to work on this and see. Whatever we find, if anything, won’t be fixed in the next 24 hours. Let us do a little investigation.

Gerald

Can you register? That way I don’t have to approve all your emails and they go through immediately, or shortly there after…

Gerald

No problem! You are now one of the many!

Thanks!

Gerald

Here are the results of our testing:

Connecting Black directly to PC:

On BBB:

root@beaglebone:~# iperf -c 169.254.226.13

Thanks Gerald,

Wonder why I can not get good results just updating my images then. Is it normal for the speed to be so low?

There are variables. As you saw, we got 94MB/s. But, that is on a clean connection which truly tests the capability of the board, which is what we are looking at. The first time we ran it on the network, it was much worse, like 500KB/S.

Gerald

Gerald,

The BeagleBone performs well on a “clean” network, but very bad on a “not clean” network.
Why would that be? How to fix it?

Stu

I guess it would depend on the definition of a “clean” versus “not clean” network. There are a lot of settings inside the PHY that could be tweaked via a change in the SW driver.

Gerald