BeagleBoard Rev. B - vs. - Rev. C

I don't normally answer direct questions without the mailing list in the CC. This one was generic enough to send to the list by removing the names.

>Good morning Jason, Gerald,
> In August I (& colleagues) ordered a couple of BeagleBoards Rev. B from D/K – now I persuaded some friends to purchase some extra boards and read a thread about
>BB rev. C vs. rev. B … In order to stream-line our work, we would like to know the impact on the software compilation process between Rev. C and Rev. B. ?
>
> 1. What is the impact on the software installation process between Rev. C vs. Rev. B ?

I expect that we'll provide an updated bootloader (u-boot) that will make it easier to avoid typing in commands over the serial port to boot a kernel from the SD card, since the SD card will be automatically scanned for a boot.scr file. You can simply update the u-boot on your flash to get this functionality--it isn't related to any change in the hardware, just the testing process.

> 2. Do you advise to wait for Rev. C BB’s ?

No, not unless you want to wait until March or have an absolute requirement for a second USB port. You can enter the software design contest for a chance to get one of the prototypes.

> 3. Should the current users (owners) of a Rev. B board also migrate to Rev. C in order to keep toolchain compilation process aligned ?

No, there is full software compatibility for all on-board components. USB host will be added and should gracefully not-work on Rev B boards. Changes to the pin-mux for the expansion header can be put in with #ifdef, but are not even currently in the mainline.

> 4. What is the status nowadays of the Flyswatter – OpenOCD JTAG debugger … have the sw. issues been solved ? Is it already stable enough for daily use ?

You can follow the status on the openocd mailing list where there has been some on-going discussion: https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openocd-development/. It is not ready for daily use, as far as I can see. It does appear to be ready for experimental use.

4. What is the status nowadays of the Flyswatter – OpenOCD JTAG

debugger … have the sw. issues been solved ? Is it already stable
enough for daily use ?

You can follow the status on the openocd mailing list where there has
been some on-going discussion: OpenOCD - Open On-Chip Debugger - berlios.de
. It is not ready for daily use, as far as I can see. It does appear
to be ready for experimental use.

You can follow the full discussion on the openocd list, but the capsule summary is that we can read the IDCODE for the Icepick but do not have enough information to feel confident in our attempts to interact with it. After the holidays, I will be attempting to validate that we can talk to the DAP. If that is successful, I'll start development of the Cortex-A8 target support.

So, if you want to use JTAG debugging with OpenOCD with a BeagleBoard target today, it isn't ready. I'm hesitant to give any time estimates, but I will be working on it once I'm back home from the holidays.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beagle Board" group.
To post to this group, send email to discussion@beagleboard.org.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard-unsubscribe@beagleboard.org
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Rick