Beagleboard RevC read/write via Serial

Hi there,

i have been trying to capture serial data received from a OEM GPS receiver va minicom and when i do a capture in the beagleboard’s Minicom it should be writing exactly what minicom sees into a file in the SD card.

But what i have been seeing is missing data in the log file. The captured file seems to be different from the actual serial data shown on minicom. Why am i facing this problem, is it due to slow Beagleboard processing speed or slow writing speed of the sd card? I am not able to figure this out…someone facing similar issues please help me out of what i can do to rectify these.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks

Ram

First check for the connections, How have you connected the GPS and the Beagleboard?
Are you able to get the correct response on minicom in Beagleboard?

Writing in a file is a obviously OK task. If the above work are working fine, then there is a programming error. For ex- you may check for your buffer which is writing in sdcard file to get overwritten before it can actually write its previous value to the file. Check for synchronisation, because the GPS is throwing the data at 4800 (or different) bauds so your program must take care of it. Use “Re-entrancy” not the same variable for reading from serial and writing.

Other problems can be taken care only by giving a look at the program.

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for the reply. The data seems fine on minicom on beagleboard...im getting CRC errors when i log the data into the sd card at 1hz but i dont get such errors when i log gps data at 10hz.

How should i go about with the re entrancy?. Im intending to use a faster data transfer rate sd card at 6mb/s. I suspect the board writes at a much slowe rate into the sd card. How can i overcome this problem..

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for the reply. The data seems fine on minicom on beagleboard...im getting CRC errors when i log the data into the sd card at 1hz but i dont get such errors when i log gps data at 10hz.

How should i go about with the re entrancy?. Im intending to use a faster data transfer rate sd card at 6mb/s. I suspect the board writes at a much slowe rate into the sd card. How can i overcome this problem..

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,

Hi Saurabh,