BeagleBoard XM or BeagleBone Black?

Hi,
I am going to use one of these boards as platform for XMBC. That is the best choice: BeagleBoard Xm or BeagleBone Black? I don’t see any meaningful difference (except price).

Best regads,
Vadym

Hi Vadym,

if you expect full HD decoding, none of them.

the XM is a bit better in terms of decoding video as it might decode some 720p content at least.

For audio projects,which need audio input and output(for speech processing projects),which is better xM or beaglebone black.i have found Beaglebone needs additional audiocape or usb sound card for this. And I think beagle xM doesn’t need any additional features. Which is better ?

For audio projects,which need audio input and output(for speech processing projects),which is better xM or beaglebone black.i have found Beaglebone needs additional audiocape or usb sound card for this. And I think beagle xM doesn’t need any additional features. Which is better ?

Hi,
I am going to use one of these boards as platform for XMBC. That is the best choice: BeagleBoard Xm or BeagleBone Black? I don’t see any meaningful difference (except price).

The answer isn’t so simple. The DM3730 used on the Beagleboard-xM is more powerful because of the additional DSP, but there is currently no support in the current Linux kernel for the DSP processor. The DSP was supported in Linux kernel up to V3.4, using SysLink to communicate between the ARM processor and the DSP. SysLink has been replaced by RPMSG/RemoteProc, but there is currently no support for the DM3730. The new Beagleboard-x15 will be supported.

However, the BBB with the TLV320AIC3104 audio cape does work, but if you require a microphone, you will need additional circuity because the audio cape does not support bias voltage required by the microphone.

Regards,
John

Is there any other alternative in embedded linux that supports audio input and out (for speech processing applications), other than beaglebone? What about raspberry pi?

For media player , RPI is a better choice

I’ve had good luck using a USB Audio dongle such as [1]. They are cheap and work right out of the box via ALSA.

–Mark

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1424442555&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+usb

Will USB headset with mic work for audio application that records sound and playback on beaglebone with quality?Here is there is no need for separate pre- amplifier or circuit that requires biasing mic voltage?