Beaglebone Ai overheating

I have noticed that my just purchased beaglebone AI is overheating and shutting down. The heatsink does in fact get quite hot. I get a message like:

Message from syslogd@beaglebone at Nov 1 14:57:00 …
kernel:[ 1219.684296] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached (95 C), shutting down

Is there any update to fix this? Maybe I got a bad chip?

Several people upgraded OS, then processor temperature speed slow down stops working and processor overheats.

For full speed operation, several people have reported using a fan, particularly small 25 mm square fan mounted on heatsink, works.

Other suggestion, huge heat-sink for fanless.

I have just powered up and updated my BBAI one hour after delivery of same. The board shut down at 95 degC, which it reached within fifteen minutes of power-up!
After waiting for cool down and restarting, I upgraded all the software as advised, by blowing on the heatsink during the process.
When finished, I ran ‘top’ command and the board shut down after 10 minutes - reaching 80 deg C.
I restarted again as before without running a command and the board shut down on over-temperature again with only the standard processes running - no user commands.

The unit obviously needs a fan - something not mentioned in the literature. A fan cape is purchasable for about $35, but really ???
I would not have bought the board had I known, since it was destined to become part of a remote and unattended SDR (Radio Receiver)
and fans are a no-no.
This does not seem to be a software or firmware fault - it is a design issue - and the board should be sold with fan, as it is not fit for purpose as-is.
Very disappointed, as I have sunk further cost because I bought a cape for the thing - which is yet to arrive.
Gah!!!

Did you update the software? We tuned down the clock a bit to keep it from overheating. We are working on a lower voltage operating point still.

When I got my BBAI a year or 2 ago, the update link presented by the pre-installed software, downloads the wrong update, then you are left with an BBAI which will only run for a short time, not enough time to update again the same way.

I eventually found an image to install on an SD-Card. I could not be sure if it updates the on board memory.

Which one of these http://beagleboard.org/latest-images do you put on a SD-Card or USB flash memory stick?
Which updates the on board memory?

Which one of these Latest Software Images - BeagleBoard do you put on a
SD-Card or USB flash memory stick?

The BBAI is a 5729 SoC. I wouldn't use any of the images from that page
-- they are nearly a year old and you would need a large uSD or eMMC
freespace to run an "apt update/apt upgrade" sequence.

I'd suggest visiting Index of /rootfs/bb.org/testing and
checking for a more recent build that includes the updates of the last
year. Maybe not the most recent build (these /are/ labeled "testing, after
all) but not too old either. (Note that 2021-02-15 has Debian 10.8, vs the
10.3 of the "latest images" page). Decide if you want a graphical desktop
(images with LXQT) or Internet of Things (images with iot), TI Deep
Learning (images with tidl) [Note that these are not mutually exclusive:
LXQT & TIDL, IOT & TIDL, LXQT only, IOT only)]

Which updates the on board memory?

Updating the eMMC is performed by loading the appropriate "Flasher"
image onto an uSD card, and booting with that card inserted.

Alternatively, non-flasher images can be turned into flasher images by
editing the /boot/uEnv.txt file. Typically the last line of that file has a
commented line; removing the # from the line enables the flashing mode.

Note that if you boot with a flasher image, it WILL rewrite the eMMC --
every time. You would have to mount the uSD after a boot from the eMMC to
recomment the line in uEnv.txt.

Hi all,

a bit late but still.
I’m using SUNON 25x25 MagLev fans, which matches the radiator (holes) perfectly fine.
for the heavy load things I’m using MF25150V2-1000U-A99, it is quite tall 15mm, but the CPU stays cool all the time. The good thing is the noise level - it is unnoticeable.
For the daily things, I’m using a fan from the same family: MF25060V1-1000U-A99, which is only 6mm tall(about the same level as Eth connector). Obviously, the CPU is slightly warmer, but instead, the setup is simply silent.
Powering fan directly from a pin header.
Cost of each of them about 8$. You have to have M2,5 screws if you would like to screw it up.