Beaglebone based iBeacon node

Hello,

I am Aakash Thakkar, 3rd year engineering student from Mumbai, India.
This is my first year applying to GSOC**,** My idea:

Idea: To make a beaglebone based iBeacon node.

“iBeacon is an indoor positioning system that can be considered as a new class of low-powered, low-cost transmitters that can notify nearby devices of their presence.”

What we want to do?

Make an open source node that would help Retail advertising.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3h0eKGfUfI.

We will develop a BLE module that can be interfaced with a beaglebone black, both the schematic and API will be made by us, and we would be using Bluez protocol stack.

Once attached to beaglebone our application developed in either C or Java will provide a user friendly GUI(On a Screen connected to beaglebone using HDMI for a limited time for configuration purposes) to set up various parameters, for the store(retail store) and its various sections, discounts etc.

We would also develop and Android/iOS Application which would be free to use for all organizations to promote the use of our project.

Main use would be to help customers search the various sections of the store, inform them about the discounts, stocks and inventories making shopping a better experience.

Please provide guidance and feedback on what you’ll think about this, I think iBeacon is a very good up and coming technology which can be used by all major stores and I am enthusiastic about making such open source, easily installable hardware at cheap costs which would speed up their usage in retail.

Thanks and Regards,

Aakash Thakkar.

Hello,

I am Aakash Thakkar, 3rd year engineering student from Mumbai, India.
This is my first year applying to GSOC**,** My idea:

Idea: To make a beaglebone based iBeacon node.

“iBeacon is an indoor positioning system that can be considered as a new class of low-powered, low-cost transmitters that can notify nearby devices of their presence.”

What we want to do?

Make an open source node that would help Retail advertising.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3h0eKGfUfI.

We will develop a BLE module that can be interfaced with a beaglebone black, both the schematic and API will be made by us, and we would be using Bluez protocol stack.

Who is ‘we’? I believe their are already USB BLE modules that could be used.

Once attached to beaglebone our application developed in either C or Java will provide a user friendly GUI(On a Screen connected to beaglebone using HDMI for a limited time for configuration purposes) to set up various parameters, for the store(retail store) and its various sections, discounts etc.

Tying to this particular of a commercial use doesn’t sound exactly like something of great benefit to a large number of open source developers.

We would also develop and Android/iOS Application which would be free to use for all organizations to promote the use of our project.

Main use would be to help customers search the various sections of the store, inform them about the discounts, stocks and inventories making shopping a better experience.

Please provide guidance and feedback on what you’ll think about this, I think iBeacon is a very good up and coming technology which can be used by all major stores and I am enthusiastic about making such open source, easily installable hardware at cheap costs which would speed up their usage in retail.

Have you thought about more general uses than retail? The use-cases for retail seem fairly open-ended. What sort of reusable building blocks would be provided? It sounds more like you are talking about making demos for your BLE module.