[Beaglebone Black, ADC, C++, Eclipse, crosscompiling]First steps: is this doable?

Hi everybody!

I have a Beaglebone Black running the last Debian image and for my current project I need to cross-compile it with Eclipse from my WIndows OS.

I’m fairly new both to microcontrollers and C++ (programming in general if I am to be honest) and right now I’m still trying to understand if my assignment is doable!
Here it goes:
I need to sample with the built-in ADC of the BBB an analog input, count the samples and find a way to ‘force’ the ADC-clock rollover to synchronize with an external clock

Do you think this is feasible? I haven’t find, strangely enough, anything online about the last two, I’m googling the wrong way?

Regards,
Valeria

Hi Valeria!

The FSM module in the TSC_ADC_SS can either get triggered by software or by an external hardware event (TIMER4-7 or PRU_ICSS pr1_host_intr0). See SRM chapter 12 for details.

The best way how to synchronize with an external clock depends on the clock frequency and the timming accuracy requirements. For high accuracy or above ~10 KHz you may need customized software.

But below that frequency you may be happy with a simple solution: The ADC operates at a fast sampling rate and the host CPU just reads the current value when the external clock fires. This is feasible with libpruio. (You may see some latency when the host CPU is busy by any system interrupt.)

BR

BTW: Cross-compiling adds further problems. Why not compiling on the BBB?

step 1. get the cross compile to work;
I personally use
http://gnutoolchains.com/beaglebone/
beaglebone-gcc4.7.3.exe

Once you install it, open eclipse and try to compile the hello world program; once that works step 2

step 2.
While I highly recommend the book (id get it make your life much easier); goto http://exploringbeaglebone.com/chapter1/ and read it till your reach the ADC bit; there is a github for the book, which has adc examples.;
the book explains how to configure the adc, and so do a lot of website; recommend you search google for “uenv.txt+BB-ADC”

Hi TJF, thanks for your reply!
I was hoping not to have to resort to use PRUs D: , for now the low accuracy given by the ADC clock will have to do. (btw why 10 kHz accuracy? it’s caused by Linux non-real-time-ness? Otherwise ADC clock frequency should be 1,6 MHz max right?)

Other random question: I suppose that if I sync the BBB system clock to an external clock the ADC’s one won’t be affected by it right? I mean they have different time ‘domain’.

Corss-compiling I’ll be able to debug my procject.

Valeria

Hi terra ÜÝÜ, thanks for your reply!

Step 1 already done, I’ m able to crosscompile and debug my bbb and the analog inputs are enabled!

V.

Hi!

Host CPU and TSC_ADC_SS have different clock domains. Internal ADC clock rate is 24 MHz. The theoretical maximum sample rate is 1.6 Msamples/s (= 15 cycles@24MHz in single shot mode) or 1.74 Msamples/s (= 14 cycles in continous mode). In praxis it’s 200 ksamples/s.

The PRUSS are first choise for real time tasks with high timing accuracy.

Below 10 ksamples/s the CPU latency (due to Linux non-real-time-ness) is small (less than 10 % on a vanilla system).

When you need concrete hints, you’ll have to specify your timing requirements:

• Is the external clock a regular pulse train?
  • What frequency?
  • Which maximum latency is required between clock pulse and ADC sample?
    BR

For PRU recommend you have a look at
https://github.com/abhishek-kakkar/BeagleLogic

and also from memory there was a similar “CRO” application

Good evening!
thanks for the conciseness (btw with Host CPU you mean the bbb one?)!

You are fairly right about the lack of requirements in my question, the main problem is that I don’t really have one! The lower the latency the better could be the tagline of my project.

The original plan was to use as synchronization source (of the system clock) a ptp clock or ntp server and acquire the samples one second (200ksamples) a time and attach a timetag to every one of them, and thatìs why I was looking for a way to force the fifo counter rollover, I’ve the horrible feeling to have posed the question the wrong way and have mistaken the whole clock concept.

I’ve found this thread (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/beagleboard/ptp$20adc/beagleboard/x3yolF9rNJk/_oPkIV5pC_UJ ) and maybe is how I should start, with libpruio I should be able to control the adc and at least increase the sampling rate (other adc spec I wanted to improve).

Regards
V.

Hi!

Thanks !

It’s still not at all clear to me how the system wall time and the adc sample time could be related, here another question similar to the one I have, Rick M suggests to:

• use a sw PLL with a frequency related to the needed accuracy, linked to the pps generated by a GPS module, to update a timer.
  • let the PRU read the timer value at every sample
  • subtract the reading latencies
    the problem is that I don’t have a PPS signal avaiable, I could modify the ntpd poll interval of the ntpd. It would be perfect if I could enable the PRU IEP timer (ocp_clk 200 Mhz) )soon after the gettimeoftheday() function call and then trigger the ADC.
    Is this nonsense talk?

V.

I’ll take a look!
(I’ve no idea what is a “CRO” application tho’, Google hasn’t been helpful)

V.

Hi!

Is this nonsense talk?

I cant say, unless you specify your requirements.

Connect your external clock and let the PRU watch a GPIO pin or an analog input and start the measurement on a certain state. Check out the triggers example.

I don’t have an external clock that I can use a trigger…!

I cant say, unless you specify your requirements.

I need to timetag the samples with an accuracy in the order of us (or less if possible) referred to the system clock previously synchronized with ntp.

Not feasible under LINUX. You’ll need customized real-time software (PRU).

You could use the ADC features of libpruio and create SW for the other PRU to read the system clock and start the measurement. Accuracy 0.005 us.

BR

In a very semplified way you suggest that I have to:
use libruio to start the measurement and read the system clock using one PRU
use the other PRU to increase ADC sample freq
?
I’ll probably need to read more about scratchpad register and XIN XOUT and all the functionality in libruio.

but first I should loose my specs in order to make things easier, lets say that ms accuracy is acceptable, should it be possible to avoid using PRUS?