BeagleBone Black Android 4.2.2 HDMI Problem

Hello,

I tried porting Android 4.2.2 image provided by TI on BeagleBone Black. I used Serialdebug on BBB and able to communicate using Serial console. I was able to start VNC server on android and saw the android working remotely on my laptop.

Now, the problem is I am not getting anything on HDMI out on my monitor except error message “Unspecified Signal, Check your hardware”.

Can anybody help me how to resolve this issue.

I tried angstrom distribution on same hardware and able to view display on HDMI 1080p. Also I tried TI EZSDK 7.00 and even it is displaying on HDMI 720p same setup.

I guess it is problem with android distribution, can anybody help me to try change the resolution using serial console.

I have attached serial console data below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjlus3l1g58wltf/problem.txt

Regards
Bishan

|

Hello,

I tried porting Android 4.2.2 image provided by TI on BeagleBone Black. I used Serialdebug on BBB and able to communicate using Serial console. I was able to start VNC server on android and saw the android working remotely on my laptop.

Now, the problem is I am not getting anything on HDMI out on my monitor except error message “Unspecified Signal, Check your hardware”.

Can anybody help me how to resolve this issue.

I tried angstrom distribution on same hardware and able to view display on HDMI 1080p. Also I tried TI EZSDK 7.00 and even it is displaying on HDMI 720p same setup.

I guess it is problem with android distribution, can anybody help me to try change the resolution using serial console.

I have attached serial console data below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjlus3l1g58wltf/problem.txt

|

• |

The TI Android distribution uses the old linux kernel 3.2. I believe this has issues with some displays. Have you tried the tips mentioned in the User Guide?
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/TI-Android-JB-4.2.2-DevKit-4.1.1_UserGuide#Using_HDMI_Display

This kernel configures a fixed resolution and it is not possible to change the HDMI output resolution without recompiling the kernel.

-Vishveshwar

I can verify this. I am working (very slowly) on a driver for the HDMI chip for bare metal programming and was in this part of the Android kernel just yesterday. The resolution is not detected in this kernel. It's hard coded to 1280x720. There are structs already created for 1024x768 and 640x480. A single line of code needs to be modified to use one of those settings.

You can find the code for this under drivers/video/nxp/tda998x_drv.c. The resolution structs start at line 295. The line you need to modify to use a different one is 603.

If you haven't already, clone the kernel using:

git://gitorious.org/rowboat/bbb-kernel

Hope this helps.

Mr Travis i see you are an expert about bbb android.

You think it's possible to run android after disabling HDMI chip? I got problem with this because surfaceflinger complain about this and zygote can't start