Beaglebone black firmware update distribution

Just a thought, might it be a good idea to create and offer a .torrent for each of the current beagle platform firmwares (esp. the black). just thinking this may ease download times and distribute some load off the servers where the files are hosted. I may offer up a .torrent for the black firmware later but haveing never created a torrent before it may take some time to figure out how to create the torrent file. If someone beats me to that, go ahead and post the .torrent file to this thread.

Eric

Just a thought, might it be a good idea to create and offer a .torrent for
each of the current beagle platform firmwares (esp. the black). just
thinking this may ease download times and distribute some load off the
servers where the files are hosted. I may offer up a .torrent for the black
firmware later but haveing never created a torrent before it may take some
time to figure out how to create the torrent file. If someone beats me to
that, go ahead and post the .torrent file to this thread.

Is there really a bandwidth problem to the links at
Latest Software Images - BeagleBoard?

If so, I can add torrent links for the attached created using the below URL [1].

[1] https://s3.amazonaws.com/angstrom/demo/beaglebone/BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.04.13-DDR3-400MHz.img.xz?torrent

demo_beaglebone_BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.04.13-DDR3-400MHz.img.xz.torrent (34.3 KB)

Yes, there very definitely is a BW issue. I was getting 25KB/s this morning. A quick check to another server showed ~2000KB/s so it was not on my side.

I am surprised also as it appears your serving from s3. I assumed that was replicated and load balanced. etc. Perhaps access to a given bucket all goes through one node unless you front end it with another service.

What I am wondering is why you need to download what is already on the board. I can see the need at some point in the future. Unless you just want to try the process, it doesn’t really gain anything.

Gerald

For my part, I wanted to wipe eMMC for my boot experiments but I was not going to do that w/o having a verified restore method.

(What I really wanted was to boot from eMMC, put a blank uSD into the slot, and hit a “backup now” web page button or at least run a script. I found many things that prevent that from being possible right now.)

For others they may not realise that it is the same image. The getting started guide suggests to update to the latest image as the first order of business. It is not so clear about how to check what version you have and how to compare to the latest.

I see what you want to do. Updating the SW first thing can be a painful way to start at a 45 minute flash time!

Gerald

Just started downloading, thanks for generating the torrent. I’ll continue to seed, and hope others will as well.

Eric