BeagleBone Black QNX 6.5.0 SP1

7.0 worked on X15 except vector graphics

Hi Robert

That’s good to know I saw the x15 7.0 BSP
Where you able to rebuild BSP sources ?And do they actually respond to support questions for educational users? :wink:

Looks like most of their revenue comes from automobile infotainmen at least the people hiring recently

Mark

I don’t know where to find the document on page 15… There are so much references about it on google.
I can’t get QNX 7.0. When I asked for it they sent me a 10 000+ € quotation…
Moreover there is no BSP for beaglebone black for QNX 7.0, they stopped supporting it after QNX 6.6 :

BBB.PNG

I’m afraid their reply tells me everything. Their website says they have it and they asked for $$$ for it so it’s not free.

In theory you could continue to try to build 6.5 missing out on features and bug fixes.

This isn’t the first time I have seen the binary works BUT source code of BSP doesn’t work marketing ploy.

Again in theory if you had BSP experience you could roll your own after figuring out why the 6.5 BSP crashes but people make careers of BSP the best work for commercial RTOS vendor’s and do what you are trying to do.

Let me translate this below

<<Moreover there is no BSP for beaglebone black for QNX 7.0, they stopped <<supporting it after QNX 6.6 :

Nobody’s paying $$$$ or using this platform in the industry. We can’t pay anybody to support this

BlackBerry almost went out of business I’d find a different vendor

BBB.PNG

Lucas

If you need a Unix like RTOS see if lynxos supplies BSP source code

Then reply to the QNX sales guy saying great thanks we are going to use lynxos

But make sure your boss agrees.

Sadly too many manager’s think BSP is free. This gas been happening for 30 year’s.

Or go Linux it’s free. My favorite commercial RTOS is GreenHills they support TI hardware.

If I was you think real hard how to explain to boss so he doesn’t think it’s your fault after all most bosses think Linux is free I’ll hire a young engineer save $10k fee for BSP should take him 1 week.

It’s even worse the new trend is when someone needs help you tell them wait till the Google Summer project’s

If Boss doesn’t understand this is bad approach send your resume out ASAP make sure he’s not reading this drinking scotch though.

In all seriousness your a smart guy an engineer think this through carefully so Lucas is first. Then also drink some scotch

Regards

BBB.PNG

This time ask new vendor about BSP source code cost and if support is included for your board.

You never told us if your product was using custom hardware or incorporating the beaglebone board.

If you know boss has no money tell him Linux​:wink::rofl: is free

https://marketplace.windriver.com/index.php?bsp&on=list&type=architecture&value=ARM

INTEGRITY Real-time Operating System
[

INTEGRITY Real-time Operating System

The flagship of Green Hills Software operating systems, the INTEGRITY RTOS is built around a partitioning architecture that enables embedded developers to ensure their applications meet the highest possible requirements for security, reliability, and

](https://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/integrity.html#middle)

Virtualization & RTOS Solutions | Lynx Software Technologies
[

Virtualization & RTOS Solutions | Lynx Software Technologies

Lynx provides software frameworks, hypervisors, and RTOS technologies for mission critical platforms in aerospace & defense, industrial IoT, enterprise, and automotive markets.

](https://www.lynx.com/?utm_term=lynx%20os&utm_campaign=WBFX+-+Branded&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=4791771710&hsa_cam=6557053337&hsa_grp=73891634050&hsa_ad=385547321883&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-387710817487&hsa_kw=lynx%20os&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiAp4KCBhB6EiwAxRxbpJf3JdehT3GmtCZiZvL-9qfmsCBu9WyIKmMgrrk1L8UUaJXU7N2L-xoCiKYQAvD_BwE)

BBB.PNG

Old product used QNX 6, had long (6 months~1 year) trial licence for 7.0, I think I was able to build the file-system image, but could not get the driver for vector graphics processor to recognize the hardware, so the tiger demo did not work on AM5728 BB X15. (This is probably because GC320 is a compositor, not vector-graphics like GC355.)

We did not have gold level support, questions often take days to be answered and often direct you to documentation and someone who can program it for you at a cost. It might be non paying users only had community support, if you are trying to sell QNX, you need to make it easy as pie to switch from something free.

QNX development works well, once hardware and software development is setup, I would say it is easier to develop and debug communicating multi-process applications on QNX than Windows, Linux or RTOS (QNX IPC coincided with what I learned at uni); if you don’t try to do it the Linux way. RTOS probably has the closest IPC ability to QNX, but way cruder; QNX has lovely variable length message passing.

Technical and library problems seemed often like Windows: you know what you want to do, and you found a function which seems like it would do what you want, but the documentation says something like “setWombat( x ) sets the wombat to x” and you find you have spent hours/days finding how it works.

Some drivers were based on Linux version, using QNX version

Linux and RTOS are free, process isolation with separate processors is cheapish, but takes up PCB space. I think Qt sold infotainment, QNX would useful for process isolation on one (multi-core) processor, so you could isolate the infotainment application from the air-bag monitor.

The file system isn’t the BSP. This part supplies all architecture specific(ASP) functions like Cache,MMU and the board specific drivers for on chip peripherals on all cores.

If I understand Lucas correctly and you look at the zip file he provided the support is limited as to drivers and he needs to recompile that and add to it.
That’s the only reason he can’t use the binary.

From your response it appears you didn’t need to modify this.

I would guess the x15 BSP is more inclusive and mature but doubt it provided loading c6x DSP code or Cortex M4 code but it’s not relevant to Lucas.

Your experience with support below

<<We did not have gold level support, questions often take days to be answered <<and often direct you to documentation and someone who can program it for <<you at a cost. It might be non paying users only had community support

To me it sounds like Lucas has the tin can support which is similar to open source support.

Ie post and pray😉

As you ask, what is missing from the BSP that needs building? If nothing, the next step is getting network setup to connect with SSH and IDE, possibly run network file system client to access files on your development PC.

Re: File System Image (I cannot remember all the details)

You use an IDE BSP project to build a bootable image including your application (started by boot script which also loads any needed drivers).
This bootable image can be copied to a flash drive or accessed from a network file system (during development).
The bootable image may be compressed read-only and expanded into a RAM backed ‘disk’ or expanded on the fly.

During application development, the bootable image boots to “sh” command line. You can run any missed commands in the boot script.

You use the IDE to connect the debugger over ethernet to QNX process and temporary download your debug version application. The IDE debugger can run, pause, single-step, etc.

In the BSP project you edit a configuration which controls what is included in the boot image. You add or remove files from the prebuilt folder. You edit the start up script to load and configure drivers.

In QNX drivers and file-systems are server processes/programs which respond to certain messages. Most QNX programs and applications are servers which wait on a message queue.

QNX provides a POSIX wrapper server which converts system calls into send-wait-reply messages or convert signals into send-and-forget pulse messages. QNX also has time limited blocking on both send and receive messages.

The QNX micro-kernel schedules process execution, allocates memory for messages, and transfers messages between processes.
It is supported server programs to implement the OS functions.

Upgrading QNX Development System.

From memory, it is more involved than downloading a SP file and running it.

You have to unzip the download.
Find the old files.

Copy the old files to a backup name or folder.
Copy the new files from the zip archive, over the old files.

Thank you all for your answers, I will try to answer you in one post.

"You never told us if your product was using custom hardware or incorporating the beaglebone board."
If I use something else than QNX, I won’t be able to port all the work made by my colleague. In fact, we are creating and developping our own electronic cards and we use QNX to programm them. We wanted to use the BeagleBone Black to realize some tests (test bench) on our products and by using QNX, we just should have ported our already existing programs. I’m not the person in charge of programming, builing, compiling QNX but I develop the product in which our cards are installed. This is why I don’t understand everything about BSP, QNX, etc.

“As you ask, what is missing from the BSP that needs building?” : We want to add the IsaGraf drivers in order to make the BeagleBone Black a target source in which we can send programms. I think, the BSp does need to be modified in that case , doesn’t it ?

We cannot upgrade our QNX development system because it would be too dangerous. We have only one licence and we don’t want to destroy anything.

Well, we found a solution to just use the prebuilt image I attached earlier but know it is only in read mode. I don’t the username and the password so I can’t put my librairies to usr/lib…
What a shame that OS

Add a partition or another storage device. To mount once booted.

Add a partition to your storage,

so that you have a smallish boot image partition which will be read-only and a data partition which is read/write.

Add another storage device,
so that you have read/write storage which is not just volatile RAM-disk. I think we used FTP or IDE to copy files to the R/W storage and add to the PATH.

Thank you, now I can add files !

Now I try to make GPIO work

I don’t know how to change Mode of the GPIO. Still searching lol

Here’s the good news.

https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.core_os/discussion.newcode.topc27326;jsessionid=drOUYZlZpfW2JNuAFA5SuhG-.tf

The Bad news is you will have to change the addresses by reading the AMx35x TRM to find the correct address you need for your gpio.