[Beaglebone Black] Using the USB client in a program to send serial data

Hi all,

I am currently trying to figure out how to use the usb client (mini usb) to send commands between a program running on a computer and a program running on my beaglebone black. The ultimate goal is to have a program, running on my beagle bone with or without the usb client port connected to a computer (with external power, of course). Once a connection to a PC has been made, i want to send and receive strings, just like a normal com port. I don’t want to use the network interface over usb and I don’t want the beagleBone Black showing up as a storage device on my PC.

I’ve just been playing around on the terminal so far and can open a serial connection on my host PC using putty and /dev/ttyACM0. Using minicom on the beagle, I can open a connection at /dev/ttyGS0. Unfortunately, on the host computer, I get a login in screen just like if I had ssh’d in. the login info I type in does show up in my minicom connection.

How can I send strings without needing to provide login details? Also, how can I disable network over USB and stop the beaglebone showing up as a mass storage device?

I imagine that I can disable the netowrk over usb interface by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file but, I’m not sure what I need to change here.

I am using the 2013-6-20 Angstrom image

Thanks in advance

Google is your friend. :slight_smile:
http://hipstercircuits.com/serial-over-usb-on-beaglebone/

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,

thanks for the link. I have seen it before, it’s for the beaglebone and not the beaglebone black. Is it still relevant?

Hi,
@xxyDf have you found a solution? I do not have beaglebone black so can’t check out the link. I am considering buying BBB, but it depends whether I can connect it to PC and send data over usb.

Thanks

W dniu środa, 17 lipca 2013 07:38:12 UTC+2 użytkownik xxyDf napisał:

The only relevant difference would be the lack of the FTDI chip on the beaglebone black, but this is for serial over usb, which is unrelated to any other serial interface.

Hi All ,

I am currently working on beagle bone black (BBB)

I want to send data BBB to usb mass storage device.USB is connected to standard usb hub.
I was able to detect the USB device on BBB putty.I want to send/receive data or string from/to USB.

I used below link for U boot and kernel compilation.Enabled usb mass storage , gadget FS ,usb gadget support ( Device driver selection).
https://embedjournal.com/kernel-compilation-beaglebone-black/

Can any guide help ? how to send data to usb to BBB and vices vice versa ?
kernel is 4.4.9

Auto Generated Inline Image 1.png

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 00:00:03 -0800 (PST),
kakarla.srinivas25@gmail.com declaimed the
following:

I want to send data BBB to usb mass storage device.USB is connected to
standard usb hub.
I was able to detect the USB device on BBB putty.I want to send/receive
data or string from/to USB.

"mass storage device" typically means something that has a file system.
You have to "mount" the device somewhere in the file system tree, and
possibly format it also. Once mounted, you should be able to copy/edit
files to/from the device.