[beaglebone] Can run Open Office on BeagleBone?

I has try play light weigh destop environment (LXDE) on my beaglebone, after that i try install AbiWord, it is light weigh word office… it run fine on my beaglebone, But when i try install libreOffice on my bone, i meet some erro, system can’t download all of package from internet and install process failt. Any body ever try install libreOffice on Beaglebone? Can & How i do that?

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux
instructs us on how to build Open Office.

hardware requirements
1 or more reasonable fast CPUs, x-way CPU’s recommended.
1 GB Ram ( 2 GB recommended )
at least 10 GB free disk space

Since the BeagleBone has less than 1GB or RAM, Open Office cannot be compiled directly on the unit in the usual Gentoo way, it
would have to be cross-compiled on another machine. Then the question will be be whether Open Office can run on the limited memory of the BeagelBone.

I’ve not set up my distributed cross compiler for the bone… yet, but when I do, I’ll give Open Office a try and post my findings here.

ok, thank for your reply, i will try follow for intructions!

2012/9/9 John Laurence Poole <jlpoole56@gmail.com>

I notice that Ubuntu on the Beaglebone has packages available for both Open Office (apt-get install openoffice.org) and Libre Office (apt-get install libreoffice).

However, I haven’t tried either, and I wouldn’t have high expectations as to performance. To get them to run acceptably fast, it might be necessary to do a custom build as John has suggested.

Dan.

I notice that Ubuntu on the Beaglebone has packages available for both Open Office (apt-get install openoffice.org) and Libre Office (apt-get install libreoffice).

However, I haven’t tried either, and I wouldn’t have high expectations as to performance. To get them to run acceptably fast, it might be necessary to do a custom build as John has suggested.

Dan.

ok, thank for your reply, i will try follow for intructions!

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux
instructs us on how to build Open Office.

hardware requirements
1 or more reasonable fast CPUs, x-way CPU’s recommended.
1 GB Ram ( 2 GB recommended )
at least 10 GB free disk space

Since the BeagleBone has less than 1GB or RAM, Open Office cannot be compiled directly on the unit in the usual Gentoo way, it
would have to be cross-compiled on another machine. Then the question will be be whether Open Office can run on the limited memory of the BeagelBone.

I’ve not set up my distributed cross compiler for the bone… yet, but when I do, I’ll give Open Office a try and post my findings here.

I has try play light weigh destop environment (LXDE) on my beaglebone, after that i try install AbiWord, it is light weigh word office… it run fine on my beaglebone, But when i try install libreOffice on my bone, i meet some erro, system can’t download all of package from internet and install process failt. Any body ever try install libreOffice on Beaglebone? Can & How i do that?

Somebody told me that beaglebone black is twice fast as Raspi::

I installed very quick on Raspi:

apt-get install openoffice.org)

Open Office works ok. on Raspi.
Programm load time on Raspi is 8-10 sec. this is a bit slow.
But working with Open Office is ok. on Raspi.

Why there are so much problems with beaglebone black ?

Kind of an old topic . . .