Beaglebone Database Suggestions

I have an app I want to write for home use that I need database access for. The dataset isn’t extremely large but will eventually overflow the file system on beaglebone. I can’t think of a way to add additional storage that will work with a database like postgresql. I have read many online posts that suggest that most databases will not install on a fat file system.

At this point I am blocked. I have thought of using a cloud database, for the size of the database it is an expensive option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get a 32gb microsd card and use that… Either format it as ext4, or something tailored for a database…

Regards,

Boot off emmc, once booted, insert microSD..

Let's assume: /dev/mmcblk1 is microSD (lsblk) to check:

export DISK=/dev/mmcblk1

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=${DISK} bs=1M count=10

sfdisk >= 2.26.x

sudo sfdisk ${DISK} <<-__EOF__
1M,L,*
__EOF__

sfdisk <= 2.25.x

sudo sfdisk --unit M ${DISK} <<-__EOF__
1,L,*
__EOF__

sudo mkfs.ext4 -L rootfs ${DISK}p1

#now formated for ext4...

Regards,

You can have a database all in memory. . . mounted over a network via NFS, or sshfs, You can use an external USB hard drive / flash stick, or you can use the sdcard interface as Robert mentions above.

Anyway, there are “tons” of options, and you simply gave up too easy. As for Software stacks . . .MongoDB, postgresql, MySQL, and I’m sure at least a couple more I can not think of off hand are all options.

What about sqlite with the file on some sort of external storage?
Then there's no need for database servers or anything complicated like
that. Backup is easy too, just copy the file.