beaglebone hdmi to VGA using powered Köning convertor not working ?

Hi,

i just bought a Köning hdmi to vga convertor.
http://www.konigelectronic.com/nl_nl/audio-video/kabels-connectoren/Audio%252FVideo%2BUnits/55994472

But i’m not getting any vga signal ?
Does this convertor not work with the beaglebone black ?

I have HDMi output when i connect it to a screen btw

I need to go to vga because it’s to display info on screens in the shop, and all connections are still vga. (connections also work)

Hopefully someone can answer this.

gr. johan

Did you check the list of the ones that do work?

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Accessories#HDMI_Adapters

Gerald

No sadly :frowning: it’s not on the list.

Hardly a list btw it is only one item :slight_smile:
But it is strange a have had no problems at all with powered hdmi to vga convertors they always works. Until now …

I don’t understand why it is not working with the beaglebone.

gr. johan

The list of the ones we tested that did not work is longer.

Gerald

Is this the same device.
I can’t buy it from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00879EZJI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

i’m still wondering why it does noet work. It’s a standard powered HDMi convertor.
gr. johan

1. It has to be externally powered. Not HDMI powered.
  2. It has to support EDID pass through.

Gerald

Hi Gerald it looks like te convertor does his job :).
It just does not work on certain tv’s.
Is it possible dat de beaglebone communicate with the convertor and choose then the highest resolution → but unsupported by the tv’s ?
I’m not really at home with EDID . :s

gr. johan

Btw the tv’s that are not working behind the vga convertor, are working when i use the HDMi connection.

It depends on what the EDID reports. The DRM driver uses that information to select the highest resolution. VGA has its limis, that is why HDMI was created. So it is possible that there could be limits to waht the VGA can support on certain TVs. TVs as such are not always friendly to PC type displays.

Gerald

Would it be possible to set a fixed resolution on the beagle.To solve this problem?How more i work with Hdmi how more i miss vga …

gr. johan

That would indeed be nice.

Gerald

So there is no solution then :frowning:

gr; johan

Not until the SW can let you do it. The DRM drive handles all of this and it uses the EDID to pick the resolution.

Gerald.

Hi Gerard i realy f* it up now :frowning:
When i was testing my setup i finally found a tv that show me the screen at 1280x720(16:9)
but when i connect the vga convertor i see 1/2 screen @ the same resolution. → that’s the problem why the other tv’s won’t show annything i think.

I found that i need to edit the uENV.txt file to test other resolution settings (only working at startup i know)

i putted the sdcard (beagle starts unbuntu) in my windows pc and added an extra line for the resolution, the beagle din’t show me anny screen, after that even when i removed that extra line. the beagle still din’t show annything :frowning:

I destoyed the file i gues :frowning:

i uploaded the file.

When i can’t fix this back i’m screwed my sister payed 500 eur for this beagle +install (yea i know this is nuts) but there was this hdmi problem and i’m a video guy so she asked to try to fix this but now this :frowning:

i hope you can help me out here. :frowning:
gr; johan

uEnv.txt (808 Bytes)

Hi Gerard i realy f* it up now :frowning:
When i was testing my setup i finally found a tv that show me the screen at 1280x720(16:9)
but when i connect the vga convertor i see 1/2 screen @ the same resolution. → that’s the problem why the other tv’s won’t show annything i think.

I found that i need to edit the uENV.txt file to test other resolution settings (only working at startup i know)

i putted the sdcard (beagle starts unbuntu) in my windows pc and added an extra line for the resolution, the beagle din’t show me anny screen, after that even when i removed that extra line. the beagle still din’t show annything :frowning:

I destoyed the file i gues :frowning:

i uploaded the file.

When i can’t fix this back i’m screwed my sister payed 500 eur for this beagle +install (yea i know this is nuts) but there was this hdmi problem and i’m a video guy so she asked to try to fix this but now this :frowning:

i hope you can help me out here. :frowning:

Hi Johan,

Your uEnv.txt file doesn’t make any sense. All the actions you included are already done in the default u-boot script. You should only add the actions you need and not attempt to replace the default u-boot script. Also, you should add these items to uenvcmd, not optargs. When you boot, stop at the u-boot prompt and enter the printenv command. That is the default u-boot script before uEnv.txt is loaded. You will see that after uEnv.txt is loaded, it will check if uenvcmd exists, and if it does, it will be run uenvcmd.

I have attached an example uEnv.txt I found that may demonstrate some of these concepts.

Regards,
John

uEnv.txt (1.99 KB)

Hi john ty for the reply, but this i the uEnnv.txt that was on de sc-card and de beaglebone was running using this.
I realy don’t understand this. :frowning:

btw when i imput the sd-card now, power led and userled 0,1,2 are fixed light up .
Damn still screwed :frowning:

gr; johan

There is a link on the card that came in the box that the board was in. It redirects to here.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack

Go to item 10.1.

Gerald

Hi john ty for the reply, but this i the uEnnv.txt that was on de sc-card and de beaglebone was running using this.
I realy don’t understand this. :frowning:

btw when i imput the sd-card now, power led and userled 0,1,2 are fixed light up .
Damn still screwed :frowning:

Hi Johan,

It isn’t that complicated. Here is an explanation I provided back in Dec 4th.

Can be a hardware issue. Boards (at least some revisions) have small design “feature” that will make them unusable with some HDMI adapters.
I have A6 revision and a Delock 63457 HDMI adapter.

Now the HDMI adapter gets it’s power from HDMI connector (+5V) through a resettable fuse PTC (noted RT1 on schematic, the yellow component near USB host connector). This excellent feature will protect PM (the TPS65217) against cheap chinese adapters or enthusiasts bad behavior through HDMI interface. The problem is the fuse which is under-estimated, on my board a 100mA PTC is mounted.

Since TPS65217 can handle a lot bigger, just replace the fuse with a 250mA one and you’ll be ok. Better, remove the PTC and power the HDMI directlly through +5V main supply since there is the same +5V regulated and the kernel will anyhow put the device in standby if too long inactivity on keyboard or mouse will be detected.

As a rule of thumb… if the PTC gets hot, the HDMI adapter tries to draw more power that fuse can handle. The voltage will drop under 5V and HDMI adapter will goes grazy… you will have a short image at boot time, then nothing. The board doesn’t allow me to upload some pictures about issue.

Regards,
Edouard Gora, YO3HCV

Feel free to do this modification. Just remember it violates the warranty. I do not intend to power the world over HDMI connector. Just the EEPROM for the purpose of reading the EDID. This is the way the board was design and is not a “feature”.

While the TPS65217 can handle more, it does have a limit.

Gerald