BeagleBone, removing services

Hey guys,

I’d like to remove the services that come pre-installed with the BeagleBone, basically keeping SSH and removing everything else. I can’t seem to find anywhere in the OS where the services (Node,Cloud9,GateOne) are getting started in any of the usual startup locations.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

E

Hi, u could go to ur beagle on ssh and type ps -u root
U will see all the processes running, there are two processes called
node
One is Cloud9 and the other the webpage, just do a kill to those
2processes
for example: kill 96
If node process is 96 it will be killed from running.

But it will start on next startup, but with some search u could get
the way to remove it from startup

Regards

I am by no means an expert here, but I believe something like:

systemctl disable cloud9.service

should stop the service from being started at the next boot.

systemctl -h helped me :slight_smile:

HTH

Dave.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. I was able to find the processes, but I’d really like to disable Node on boot. (I’m going to be running Jetty).

Dave, systemctl helped me get rid of Cloud9 and GateOne, but I couldn’t find any reference to Node in there.

Also, what is systemctl and how does it work. Is it an Angstrom thing, or is it something else? Does this distribution not used the init.d/rc symlinks to start/stop/reset things?

Thanks everyone!

E

It uses systemd, which is a replacement for the SysV RC system. I found several sites and videos on youtube describing systemd. Systemd is what allows the BeagleBone to boot up under 10 seconds. I think systemd is a perfect fit with embedded Linux.

Freeman

Take a look in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants; there
you'll find entries like cloud9.service, bone101.service, etc.

Remove these and you'll prevent the invocation at startup.

Conversely, you can also create services so that your the processes
you want are there at startup.start up. Put the services in /lib/
systemd/system and symbolicattly link to them from /etc/systemd/system/
multi-user.target.wants

Good Luck!

Mike

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. I was able to find the processes, but I'd really like to disable Node on boot. (I'm going to be running Jetty).

Dave, systemctl helped me get rid of Cloud9 and GateOne, but I couldn't find any reference to Node in there.

I believe node is run as part of the cloud9 and bone101 services. So if you disable both these services node should not run.

Also, what is systemctl and how does it work. Is it an Angstrom thing, or is it something else? Does this distribution not used the init.d/rc symlinks to start/stop/reset things?

Systemctl is the management tool for systemd which is a highly parallelized startup system replacing systemV. It allows startup times to be drastically reduced to under 10 seconds in some cases.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for the info. I will definitely read up on the new start-up system.

Thanks!

E