BeagleBone Tethering (via ConnMan)

Has anyone gotten this working? I’m just getting started with ConnMan and don’t know much yet.

root@beaglebone:/usr/lib/connman/test# ./enable-tethering wifi beaglebone password
Enabling wifi tethering
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./enable-tethering”, line 46, in
sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2], sys.argv[3])
File “./enable-tethering”, line 34, in technology_enable_tethering
tech.SetProperty(“Tethering”, dbus.Boolean(1))
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py”, line 145, in call
**keywords)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py”, line 651, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: net.connman.Error.NotSupported: Not supported

I’m wanting for the BeagleBone to serve as an access point that I can connect to from a smartphone. From what I read adhoc isn’t supported, and using tethering seems like one of the few options.

Thanks in advance for any input or direction you can provide!
Jerrill

This thread has converged with another topic I started here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/beagleboard/gl4kya5zKeU

It turns out the “master mode” rather than “ad hoc” mode is required for tethering on a given wireless USB device and mine doesn’t support master mode. I’ll continue this discussion in the other thread.

Thanks,
Jerrill

I have since acquired a wireless USB dongle that supports master (AP) mode and can be used for ConnMan tethering. Now I’m in the process of getting the software working.

The folks on the ConnMan mailing list suggested that the CONFIG_AP needs to be set in the config file when the wpa_supplicant is compiled. I was hoping if anyone knew off the top of their head if this was already the case or whether I needed to download and re-compile the wpa_supplicant source code?

If it’s not, can this be included in the next release of the BeagleBone image?

Thanks,
Jerrill

Everyone,

I’ve since gotten the newest version of the wpa_supplicant (1.0) to compile on the BeagleBone. It turns out that there are some setting in the connman README file that need to be set in the wpa_supplicant .config file before compiling some of which don’t appear to be documented in the example defconfig file that comes with the wpa_supplicant source.

However, that still didn’t resolve my tethering problem. The connman folks suggested that I should upgrade the version of connman from the version that ships with the BeagleBone image (0.79) to the newest version (1.4) since there have been a lot of bugfixes since the earlier release.

I’m in the process of getting compiling the new version and tracking down missing dependencies. You can check out the efforts in the thread here:

http://lists.connman.net/pipermail/connman/2012-August/010669.html

I apologize for cross-posting, but perhaps there is someone in the Beagle community that knows the trick for compiling connman on our images.

In brief, here’s the step I stuck at presently:

root at beaglebone:~/connman# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

checking for XTABLES… no
configure: error: Xtables library is required

It appears that xtables is part of the iptables package which I have installed. Something is misconfigured and I haven’t had any luck figuring it out. Perhaps someone here can educate me.

I’ll be sure to update with anything that come out of the discussion on the connman mailing list.

Thanks.
Jerrill

I’ve since gotten the newest version of the wpa_supplicant (1.0) to compile on the BeagleBone. It turns out that there are some setting in the connman README file that need to be set in the wpa_supplicant >.config file before compiling some of which don’t appear to be documented in the example defconfig file that comes with the wpa_supplicant source.

I’ve got the latest comman compiled on the bone, but missing on how to get it running. One issue was getting dbus up and running. But from there I tried to follow some configuration notes and no luck yet…

tcmichals,

I’m making progress integrating a web UI for connman into the application that I’m working on, but I’ve run into an issue with my wireless connection. The complete thread is here:

http://lists.connman.net/pipermail/connman/2012-August/010915.html

I wanted to cross-post to the beagle community to see if anyone had seen similar behavior. I’ll paste my most recent posts:

I’m renaming this thread to something more appropriate. Please take a look at the quoted text. Thanks! Jerrill

I just used hostapd to setup a softAP and dnsmasq. It is working fine.

I have a Beagleboard-XM that has been ported with Android Gingerbread v2.3. We are using a Cisco Wifi Adapter and I would like to know the exact step by step procedure of how one can make the Beagleboard function as an Access point. Please can anyone help me out with this. It would indeed be very helpful for my future. Thank you guys!