Beagleplay Quickstart issues

I went through the quickstart guide for the Play, and found a few issues, along with some solutions.

1. python virtualenv can’t run cc2538-bsl.py (west flash), but the global environment can. That’s because the global environment gets gpiod from gpiod.cpython-39-aarch64-linux-gnu.so. Copying this file from the global packages folder, /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ to the virtualenv packages folder, /home/debian/zephyr-beagle-cc1352-sdk/zephyr-beagle-cc1352-env/lib/python3.9/site-packages/ fixes this.

2. zephyr micropython fails to build with undefined references to console_init, and some other console_xxx functions. Run menuconfig from the micropython/play folder with “west build -t menuconfig”. Enable “device drivers → serial drivers → uart interrupt support”, and “device drivers → console drivers → use uart for console”. Only once these two settings are enabled will “sub systems and os services → console subsystem / support routines” change from binary selection to a deeper menu, where “console get function” can be selected. With these three menuconfig changes, micropython now builds.

3. micropython can’t access gpio because the gpio node doesn’t have a label in the device tree. In zephyr-beagle-cc1352-sdk/zephyr/boards/arm/beagle_play_cc1352/beagleplay.dts, find the &gpio0 node, and add a label.

&gpio0{
status=“okay”;
label=“GPIO_0”;
}

after rebuilding and reflashing micropython, the following script can control LEDs:

from machine import Pin

pin_27 = Pin((“GPIO_0”, 27), Pin.OUT)
pin_28 = Pin((“GPIO_0”, 28), Pin.OUT)

pin_27.on()
pin_27.off()
pin_28.on()
pin_28.off()

Thank you so much for trying things out, reporting issues and discovering workarounds. Please feel encouraged to report issues at Zephyr · GitLab and https://docs.beagleboard.org/docs/docs.beagleboard.io.

UPDATE: I made several comments below that probably won’t make sense. I just went back and re-read your comment–you are talking about Micropython on BeaglePlay, not on BeagleConnect Freedom. I never went back and retested those steps as I figured most people would just use the WPANUSB firmware, at least initially. I’ll go back and fix the Micropython release and documentation for that. Thanks.

Shouldn’t this be installed with the requirements?

I’ll try this again on a fresh install and make sure all the dependencies are there. I think installing them with pip should be the right way, rather than copying them from the Debian file system. My goal with virtualenv was to try to avoid cross-polluting the Debian file system with pip-based installs, so I’ll make sure the instructions for building the virtualenv are complete.

Thanks.

Yeah, the head of the tree involves some other hacking involving putting Greybus in as a service to the Micropython image. Based on early user feedback, Micropython gives a quick development environment familiar to many MCU users. We are working on integrating control over the Greybus service into the Micropython environment such that users can easily choose if they want local or remote control over the peripherals.

Just so you know where we are at, we are fighting through the file-system conflicts between Zephyr (mcumgr) and Micropython and it shouldn’t take too much longer to figure out how to make them both happy.

Odd. The production firmware release should have been 0.0.3, which is based on commit bfd5361e, which includes commit, which I’m recalling now doesn’t have a hard-coded version of the Zephyr tree, just used the demo branch. However, it was expected to pick up the commit to add the deprecated label. I know this was tested per my release notes, but this isn’t the way to make a stable release, nor is it the right fix as Zephyr is moving away from using labels to reference GPIOs.

Can you try using gpio@40022000 on the released image, rather than GPIO_0?

I couldn’t get the wpanusb to work either. When running the linux image that came flashed from the factory, both lowpan0 and wpan0 show up in my ifconfig once Im running the firmware on the cc1352, but I don’t get a global ipv6 address in lowpan0. I downloaded an SD card linux image from 2023-03-13, and once the cc1352 firmware is loaded and bcfserial is running, I don’t see wpan0 or lowpan0 in ifconfig at all.

For the micropython gpio issue, I took out the dts label change, and rebuilt micropython. initializing the Pin class with gpio@40022000 was successful.

For the west flash gpiod.so issue, I deleted my virtualenv and did pip3 install -r reqiurements-base.txt. Once done, I actually get two different failures running west flash.

The first failure is importing gpiod. Nothing in requirements-base.txt looks related to gpio, so Im not sure what is supposed to trigger its installation. I’ve looked through all of the requirements-*.txt, and I don’t see anything that looks like it would install gpiod. Even the global python environment’s pip doesn’t seem to know about the gpiod.so, as “pip show gpiod” says its not installed.

After copying the gpiod .so, I also got a traceback complaining about pyserial. That one was simple to install with pip, it just needs to be added to requirements-base.txt. Its currently in requirements-run-tests.txt.

I tried accessing the gitlab to raise these issues, but I need approval from an administrator, it seems.

just rebased the builds into a single repo using west.yaml

https://git.beagleboard.org/beagleconnect/zephyr/zephyr/-/jobs/9680/artifacts/download

12469d82be9a4fc6668eee047d2e0a28b98baff5

pay attention to the bcf and play directories.

commits are a mess and i will clean up the history, so expect the history to be rewritten.

going to update the instructions, including flashing in and out of the virtualenv. i’m out for the week, so it’ll be right after that.

Quick start still isn’t really updated, but here’s some update on installing Micropython on BeaglePlay itself.

This is done after disabling the WPANUSB driver and rebooting.

debian@BeaglePlay:~$ wget https://files.beagle.cc/file/beagleboard-public-2021/images/download
--2023-04-05 10:16:35--  https://files.beagle.cc/file/beagleboard-public-2021/images/download
Resolving files.beagle.cc (files.beagle.cc)... 104.21.96.96, 172.67.176.143, 2606:4700:3033::ac43:b08f, ...
Connecting to files.beagle.cc (files.beagle.cc)|104.21.96.96|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1523801 (1.5M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘download’

download                                       100%[=================================================================================================>]   1.45M  1.70MB/s    in 0.9s    

2023-04-05 10:16:37 (1.70 MB/s) - ‘download’ saved [1523801/1523801]

debian@BeaglePlay:~$ unzip download
Archive:  download
replace build/freedom/blinky/zephyr/zephyr.bin? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
  inflating: build/freedom/blinky/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/cc2538-bsl.py  
  inflating: build/freedom/mcuboot/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/mcumgr-w-boot/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/mcumgr/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/micropython-w-boot/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/micropython/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/freedom/sensortest/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/play/blinky/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/play/cc2538-bsl.py  
  inflating: build/play/micropython/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
  inflating: build/play/wpanusb/zephyr/zephyr.bin  
debian@BeaglePlay:~$ build/play/cc2538-bsl.py build/play/micropython
CC2538 BSL script customized for Laughing Coyote CC1352P target!
Setting BOOT and RESET low
Setting RESET high
Setting BOOT high
Opening port /dev/ttyS4, baud 50000
Reading data from build/play/micropython/zephyr/zephyr.bin
Cannot auto-detect firmware filetype: Assuming .bin
Connecting to target...
CC1350 PG2.0 (7x7mm): 704KB Flash, 20KB SRAM, CCFG.BL_CONFIG at 0x000AFFD8
Primary IEEE Address: 00:12:4B:00:29:B9:95:16
    Performing mass erase
Erasing all main bank flash sectors
    Erase done
Writing 720896 bytes starting at address 0x00000000
Write 208 bytes at 0x000AFF308
    Write done                                
Verifying by comparing CRC32 calculations.
    Verified (match: 0x96bfa321)
debian@BeaglePlay:~$ tio /dev/ttyS4
[tio 10:21:18] tio v1.32
[tio 10:21:18] Press ctrl-t q to quit
[tio 10:21:18] Connected

>>> help
<function>
>>> help()
Welcome to MicroPython!

Control commands:
  CTRL-A        -- on a blank line, enter raw REPL mode
  CTRL-B        -- on a blank line, enter normal REPL mode
  CTRL-C        -- interrupt a running program
  CTRL-D        -- on a blank line, do a soft reset of the board
  CTRL-E        -- on a blank line, enter paste mode

For further help on a specific object, type help(obj)

See https://beagleconnect.org/micropython for examples.
>>> 

Checking for LED setting…

>>> import machine
>>> pin_27 = machine.Pin(("gpio@40022000", 27), machine.Pin.OUT)
>>> pin_28 = machine.Pin(("gpio@40022000", 28), machine.Pin.OUT)
>>> pin_27.on()
>>> pin_28.on()
>>> pin_27.off()
>>> pin_28.off()

Works.

I’ve not had a lot of free time with travel, but I’ll try to update the SDK install docs ASAP, but it may not be until next week.

1 Like