Booting Linux on the Beagleboard xM Rev C 1

Gerald,

Thanks for your prompt response.
How about my Q1,Q2,Q3? It's about the first (validation) , the second (demo) or both to boot from beagleboard.

Q1: I write -validation- image then the SD becomes 116M. At this step, will this validation image ALONE boot from BB?

Q2: Do I just write the demo- image (without -validation image) to boot from BB?

Q3: Is the procedure to write -validation- image (116 GB) then write -demo- image BOTH. Then boot from BB?

Jim

See below.

Gerald

Gerald,

Thanks for your prompt response.
How about my Q1,Q2,Q3? It’s about the first (validation) , the second (demo) or both to boot from beagleboard.

Q1: I write -validation- image then the SD becomes 116M. At this step, will this validation image ALONE boot from BB?

Yes of course. This is the xloader and Uboot files. Will it boot the full kernel? Maybe. The Kernel filesystem is found in the EXT partiton. Now, if the partiton is actully there, then yes it shoulf boot the full desktop. You cannot se those files form a Windows machine. It cannot read EXT partitions. Make sure you d not touch the user button during the boot process.

Q2: Do I just write the demo- image (without -validation image) to boot from BB?

They are the same. The validation image we use it the demo image. One is an earlier version, called Alpha. The second is the Beta that we currently use and is on the card that ships with the board.

Q3: Is the procedure to write -validation- image (116 GB) then write -demo- image BOTH. Then boot from BB?

No, Just write one image. The image is the entire SD card, FAT and EXT partitions. Either of the two will work.