Booting Linux on the Beagleboard xM Rev C

Jason,

Circuitco's approach is to use Win32DiskImager to write the two images on Windows and boot on BeagleBoard.

Your procedure is to work on Linux.
My current problem is I can not write any image to the system SD (comes with BB). No way for a blank SD to boot up to do Linux stuffs.
What is /your/sd/card? dev/sd[a][b][c]? My BB shows mmcblk0. I can not mount mmcblk0. It complains etc/ does not have the name.

Thanks,
Jim

Jason,

Circuitco’s approach is to use Win32DiskImager to write the two images on Windows and boot on BeagleBoard.

Your procedure is to work on Linux.
My current problem is I can not write any image to the system SD (comes with BB). No way for a blank SD to boot up to do Linux stuffs.
What is /your/sd/card? dev/sd[a][b][c]?

It is system dependent, but yes, it is typically something like /dev/sda. Be careful not to format your hard drive. Perhaps for you the best approach would be to use Ubuntu’s ImageWriter for Linux as well, since you don’t seem to be following the Windows instructions or ready to follow command-line instructions that aren’t 100% exact.

My BB shows mmcblk0. I can not mount mmcblk0. It complains etc/ does not have the name.

If you are able to determine the device name for the SD card on your BeagleBoard, why can you not find the same on your PC?

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Can you provide an exact log of the commands you type and the responses you get?

Usually it comes as /dev/sdb if you have only one internal hard drive.

Thank you,

Johnson

Just see what dmesg contains after inserting the card. This should
give you a clue.

Thank you,
Johnson