Building and updating kernel

Hi, is there a guide I can follow for manually compiling and updating the kernel? I can compile from source and generate zImage and modules, however copying the files to rootfs is where I fail (last time I did that was when the boot partition was still used).

From what I gather, I need to copy zImage to rootfs/boot, add entry in uEnv, copy the .dtb, and the overlays (where do I find them?), however when I try doing all these steps, the board does not boot.

Any help will be appreciated.

Which root file system and board? in most cases we have all the debian scripts setup for you to just, build a debian based linux package:

sudo dpkg -i linux-image*.deb

Regards,

I’m using the root file system generated with the latest image AM335x 11.7 2023-09-02 4GB microSD IoT., the board is BBB Wireless.

My goal is to get to know more about configuring and building the kernel, and I’d like to go through the manual procedure. I’ll not touch the root file system.

What I am struggling with is:

Thanks

`

for example right now on that board we are pushing the 5.10.x branch, which matches: GitHub - beagleboard/linux at v5.10.168-ti-r77

in that directory there is a gitlab yml file:

You can see how the linux-image-*.deb file is created…

Once linux-image-*.deb is built you can copy it your board and run:

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-*.deb
sudo reboot

Regards,