Building Debian BBB image using Robert Nelsons page on iMac using Debian on vmware fusion

I am running Debian under VMware Fusion no my iMac and following Robert Nelsons wiki on building an BBB image. On VMWare fusion, one can not see the SDCard (it is a PIC device) directly, and can only share it as a folder. Of course, that won’t work when one gets to the partitioning section of the instructions. I was going to do this on the Mac directly, but the mac can’t see ext4 that I am aware of. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this scenario?

I am running Debian under VMware Fusion no my iMac and following Robert

Don't know about VMware, but I am running Kubuntu 14.04 using Virtualbox
on my Macbook Pro and am able to do everything that is necessary to
rebuild the kernel, u-boot and format and create boot uSD cards. Not that
this helps, but Virtualbox is working fine for me.

I am running Debian under VMware Fusion no my iMac and following Robert Nelsons wiki on building an BBB image. On VMWare fusion, one can not see the SDCard (it is a PIC device) directly, and can only share it as a folder. Of course, that won’t work when one gets to the partitioning section of the instructions. I was going to do this on the Mac directly, but the mac can’t see ext4 that I am aware of. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this scenario?

I tried both VMWare and Parallels on my Mac and generally I have found Parallels to have fewer issues like this. BTW, other users on this list have experienced the same issue with VMWare running on Windows.

Regards,
John

I use VMware on a MacBook Pro and the SD reader shows up as Apple internal card reader under Virtual Machine->USB & Bluetooth. It connects to the VM as if it was a USB drive. I'm still on Mountain Lion and have not moved to Mavericks just yet.

Mark

There are a couple of different ways of locking the sdcard reader on your computer using virtualbox. First method it needs to be detected as a USB device, then you set up a USB filter. The second method involves writing a config file for it which seemed fairly easy / straight forward ( on Windows anyhow ).

Let me see f i can find the link that explains what i mean.

http://superuser.com/questions/373463/how-to-access-an-sd-card-from-a-virtual-machine

This is for virtualbox, and not fusion. I know that you’re currently not using virtualbox, but perhaps you may want to switch once you get tired of pulling your hair out :slight_smile: