Camera solution

Ok, i work over a color sorting project in food industry with minimum cost.

I have decided to use BeagleboneBlack and OpenCV.
The problem occured is the camera…

As far as i know (google) my only option is a usb webcam. (far more choises for RaPi).
The camera will be used only for snapshots, so it shoud provide the minimum and always the same response time.

I dont know if a webcam could fill these needs.
Please, suggest an affordable webcam (50E is max) or other solutions.

Hello,

Ok, i work over a color sorting project in food industry with minimum
cost. I have decided to use BeagleboneBlack and OpenCV. The problem
occured is the camera...

As far as i know (google) my only option is a usb webcam. (far more
choises for RaPi). The camera will be used only for snapshots, so it
shoud provide the minimum and always the same response time.

I dont know if a webcam could fill these needs. Please, suggest an
affordable webcam (50E is max) or other solutions.

A camera cape together with a quality lens would provide you with much better images than a webcam.

You might use an industrial camera connected to the BeagleBoneBlack. Such a camera together with a quality lens would even be more robust. Some camera manufacturers (IDS Imaging, for instance) offer Raspberry Linux drivers for their cameras and might be able to provide you with drivers for Linux on BeagleBone, if you ask them.

Christian

I got problems using opencv

if you got too use fswebcam
The web if full of samples
https://www.google.com/search?q=web+can+rpi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=+fswebcam+beaglebone+

http://www.cedtnsit.in/connectx/pdf/camera.pdf

Christian,
thank you for your time.

As for the industrial cameras, they are really expensive.
Camera cape remains a risk as there no available published test projects and i doudt opencv compatibility.
I guess typical camera modules are out of questions. (i really dont know there compatibility with BBB anyway)
So webcam seems my only choise right now. High resolution is not a problem for me, but blurness due to motion is a big one.

Do you have any suggestions?

Correct, as the am335x used on the bbb, doesn't have your "typical"
camera interface... So usb is really the only option, unless you do
something custom with the pru...

Regards,

As for the industrial cameras, they are really expensive.

You have to consider the value of goods that are to be check as well as the risks that come with undetected failures. Industrial cameras are available for prices below 200 Euros, and lenses from major vendors are available for 100 Euros.

So webcam seems my only choise right now. High resolution is not a
problem for me, but blurness due to motion is a big one.

The effect of motion blur can be reduced if you emply shorter integration times. Industrial cameras offer variable integration times. I do not know if the integration time of webcams can be variated. To eliminate motion blur you might also operate your illumination in pulse mode similar to a flashlight. But this requires synchronisation between the camera and the flashlight, which is missing in Webcams.

Christian

What kind of resolution do you need and what kind of frame rate do you expect
to be able to process with OpenCV on the BBB? There are a lot of camera
options but without knowing the expectations, it is hard to suggest anything.

thank you for the response,

I need 2-4 photos per second. The rest frames will be discarded. Resolution is not a problem as long as the pics are clear (there will be products in motion - relatevily slow).
h.264 hardware encryption is vital in order for the BBB to go smoothly and the only tested camera with such characteristic is the logitech C920.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cameras_with_onboard_video_stream_encoding).

would you agree?

If blur is the main issue for a cheap webcam and you can't adjust the exposure time settings manually as with an industrial cam, you could try increasing the light level (add a very bright lamp) to encourage the camera to use shorter exposure times and therefore reduce the blur of moving objects. Just a thought...

thanks for the response,

With this particular webcam, you can set the exposure parameter through OpenCV.
At least that’s what i found out googling.

The C920 is very powerful compared to most web cams. I used one in a project recently, but I was not using OpenCV.