Can beaglebone black be used for MQTT ?

Hi,

I am considering (as I am a newbie) using BBB for my home system that uses MQTT, this is running fine on a windows machine.

I have looked on the internet but cannot find the information, I did see a video on Youtube with MQTT and virtual reality, so it must be possible !

I currently use mosquito server, is this available in the arm linux that BBB uses?

Also is there MQTT client that I can use ?

Any other hints tips will be aprreciated.

Regards

Gary

Gary,
I am not familiar with MQTT, but assuming you want to run Ubuntu or Debian, both server and client are already available in there respective repositories. I can't vouch if the version in the repository are the latest, but if not, the sources are available and you can compile directly on the Beagle.

A good source for installing Ubuntu on the Beagle Black is http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

Good Luck,
Mark

Hi,

It’s possible to use MQTT/mosquitto on the BBB, I couldn’t find any Angstrom packages but it’s relatively painless to compile from source.

I used opkg to install the following packages, some of which may not be necessary:

python-pip
tcp-wrappers
python-dev
python-setuptools
pkggroup-core-buildessential
coreutils
libxslt
libxslt-dev

Then I added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and downloaded the latest version of mosquitto and followed the instructions to compile and install it.

Hope you managed to get it installed