Can connect to BBB in Windows but not Ubuntu

I just recently got a Beaglebone Black Rev C, and have tried for a while to do the “Getting Started” guide in Ubuntu, and cannot seem to get the network connection to work. I have tried running the mkudevrule script and updating my kernel to 3.16, none of these have worked.

To verify that it is not the Beaglebone’s issue, I booted into Windows, installed the drivers linked on the page, and was able to easily get a web server. What might I be doing wrong in Ubuntu?

Have you made sure the usbnet driver is loaded and working on the ubuntu ( PC ) side ? With that said, you’re really not giving enough information.

In Ubuntu check to see if there is an interface for the USB connection to the BBB. (ifconfig) - if not you need to install the usbnet driver to access the BBB through the usb port with IP connectivity. If you do see the interface make sure it is set to 192.168.7.1/24 otherwise it will not be on the right network to communicate with the BBB.

Hope this helps…

gm…

Look at the topic "Cannot SSH into BBB (or access 192.168.7.2 web page) from Linux". It was on this list about two weeks ago...

The guy used the command "dhclient eth2" to configure his eth2 IP in the same range of BBB usb port...

Miguel Aveiro

First of all, how do I check if usbnet is installed/working? I don’t see any option to install it either.

Also, I don’t have an eth2 interface when I plug in the BBB, and I can’t add one with dhclient because it doesn’t exist.

First of all, how do I check if usbnet is installed/working? I don’t see any option to install it either.

lsmod | grep usbnet

first run- ifconfig
then connect the board and wait for 10 sec for bbb to load
run ifconfig again
see the new peripheral added…
then run-
sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.7.1
IN MY CASE IT WAS eth1
then run
ssh root@192.168.7.2

after 2 month im finally able to solve this issue.. it actually forces the ethernet to accept the ip 7.1 and then tunnels via ssh using 7.2..
plz give it a thumbs up it may help many ..

sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.7.1