Can the BBB Board damaged by switch off without shut down?

Hallo Gays,

I had two boards damaged. I don’t know the reason. I swiched them off without correct shut down. Both boards doesn’t starts after this Switch off. The first board can’t flashed again. The ROM (eMMC) is damaged and the second board doesn’t enables the Power (LED off) but power at Input is OK.
Has the BBB Board a Problem with direct Switch off without shut down?
Writes the Linux (Debian) sporadic or periodically into the ROM e.g. logging System status?
Use the Linux Driver for the ROM Memory a RAM to reduce writing to ROM?
Can I lost data or damage the System if my BBB Board Switches off without shut down?

Please help me.

Best regards
Edgar

Hallo Gays,

I had two boards damaged. I don’t know the reason. I swiched them off without correct shut down. Both boards doesn’t starts after this Switch off. The first board can’t flashed again. The ROM (eMMC) is damaged and the second board doesn’t enables the Power (LED off) but power at Input is OK.

With no power LED, then the power management chip if probably faulty. There is an errata for the AM335x which requires that the voltage difference between the 1v8 and 3v3 rail should not exceed 2v. When you shutdown the BBB, this can occur and damage the processor. Many developers power off their BBB all the time and they don’t see this happen, but the more you do this, the processor will eventually fail. Some of the later boards have a circuit to ensure the difference between the 3v3 and 1v8 rails does not exceed 2v. The BBB does not have this circuit.

Has the BBB Board a Problem with direct Switch off without shut down?
Writes the Linux (Debian) sporadic or periodically into the ROM e.g. logging System status?
Use the Linux Driver for the ROM Memory a RAM to reduce writing to ROM?

You can use a temporary ram disk to limit writes to EMMC and SDCard.

Can I lost data or damage the System if my BBB Board Switches off without shut down?

This is true of any computer system. All operating systems cache file writes to maximize throughput which get flushed to disk when going through a shutdown. if you pull the power, the directory may be in the middle of an update and files may be partially written, so this will cause file/directory corruption. You either need a power supply monitor with batteries or supercaps that will trigger a shutdown when a power failure occurs.

Regards,
John