Cannot restart or shutdown from CLI

Greets!

I grabbed a recent image (cat /etc/dogtag is BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2016-01-24) and it is Jessie 8. One of the issues I am working is that I cannot restart or shutdown from CLI with
shutdown -r now

or
shutdown -h now

What happens when I try to restart is my putty SSH continues to wait and does not lose connection, and when I look at my BBB (version C) the heartbeat keeps beating. I have to manually shut it down and reboot. Halt is the same thing.

I never had this problem with previous versions of Debian. I did see something about a patch here… chroot: make sure to patch systemd in console images but I cannot find scripts/chroot.sh so not sure what to patch.

This is important to me, because I often shell into the BBB from remote and would like control over reboots from that remote location.

I hope I didn’t ask again what was already posted. I searched but all I found was… “it doesn’t work” without elaborating.

Thank you for your time!

william@beaglebone:~$ sudo shutdown now -r

Broadcast message from root@beaglebone (pts/0) (Sat Feb 20 23:00:51 2016):
The system is going down for reboot NOW!
william@beaglebone:~$ Connection to 192.168.254.167 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.254.167 closed.

I’m not terribly familiar with Jessie, I’m actually using Debian 7.8 wheezy, but . . . You may have to use reboot, and halt commands. Of course you’ll need elevated permissions.

Use:

sudo systemctl poweroff

for some reason in jessie, halt/shutdown isn't communicating correctly
to systemd...

Regards,